Casino Royale (2006)  » Movies  »
2.0
  • Still, I like most adventure movies, and love movies in general, so I decided to check out the newest James Bond
  • Part of the problem was, I think, that some of the sequences were so long that I sort of stopped paying attention
  • Some of the violence I thought was pretty much gratuitous -- possibly just a blatant attempt to get the viewer's attention back
  • Now, as far as James himself goes -- I don't think Daniel Craig's up to par with his predecessors
  • It was interesting to see what they looked like now, and to hear their thoughts on their roles

• by Diane H

I’m only a moderate fan of James Bond movies, so perhaps you should take my review with a grain of salt. Still, I like most adventure movies, and love movies in general, so I decided to check out the newest James Bond.

Man, was I confused! I mean, I like intricate plots, but this was ridiculous. When the movie was over, I had to restart the DVD to pick out all the little pieces of plot at the beginning of the movie to

put it all together. I can’t even imagine seeing this in a movie theater and understanding it.

Part of the problem was, I think, that some of the sequences were so long that I sort of stopped paying attention. There’s a chase sequence near the beginning of the movie that just goes on and on for so long that I eventually sort of forgot to care about why he was chasing the guy. Some of the violence I thought was pretty much gratuitous ...

• — possibly just a blatant attempt to get the viewer’s attention back.

Now, as far as James himself goes — I don’t think Daniel Craig’s up to par with his predecessors. I would definitely watch him in another role, but I just don’t think he’s Bond. I realize that this is supposed to be a very early version of James Bond, but I just don’t think the character was credible. There’s coarse, and there’s refined, and no amount of polishing is going to

turn this stone into a diamond. He’s appealing, he’s sexy, he’s just not Bond!

M was great, though, as usual. Dame Judi Dench is a wonderful actress, and she has made the role hers.

The best thing on the DVD, I thought, was the “extra feature” regarding the Bond girls. It was interesting to see what they looked like now, and to hear their thoughts on their roles. I had never realized how much the characterizations of the Bond girls had changed over the years.

Casino Royale (2006)
    Andrew Leither says :

I took your review “with a grain of salt” and I must say that I enjoyed “Casino Royale” I don’t mind a great James Bond movie, but sometimes the movies themselves are becoming more and more the same and predictable I preferred the older James Bond movies as they were so much fun strong and very entertaining.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112809221300330/k2311a0928/9.28.07