Medela Pump in Style breast pump
  • I would recommend starting very slowly, and then increasing the suction as needed and comfortable
  • From my experience, the Pump in Style is a quality product and I would absolutely use it again

• by northern mom

At just over $200, the Medela Pump in Style is not inexpensive. But anything that gives nursing moms a break is priceless!

The Pump in Style comes with everything a mom needs to pump and store breast milk. It includes a discreet black carrying case, so if you need to carry it to the office no one will know what’s inside. Truly, it just looks like a briefcase. The pump motor is located inside the case and is not meant to be removed. It works best to have a flat surface on which to place the case while you are pumping.

The pump comes with both AC power and a battery adapter, which gives flexibility to

moms on the go. The battery pack requires 8 AA batteries and is supposed to last for 3 hours. I usually used AC power, but did not find any decreased suction when pumping with the batteries.

There is very little assembly required, although the cluster of tubing and breast shields was a bit intimidating for a first time, postpartum mother like myself! But after a quick glance at the well-illustrated instruction manual I was on my way. You simply plug the tubing into the motor on one end, and attach the breast shields on the other. You hold the breast shields over your nipple, and any milk that is extracted drips straight through a valve ...

• in the breast shield and into a storage bottle. It would typically take me 20 minutes to pump both breasts, but this varies with each mother’s milk supply.

Both the speed and vacuum (suction) are adjustable for your comfort. I would recommend starting very slowly, and then increasing the suction as needed and comfortable.

If you are considering buying a used pump, you should note that Medela strongly discourages this practice and considers their pumps “one owner” items. However, it is possible to sterilize every item that comes into contact with breast milk. Medela says that there is a chance of breast milk getting into the motor, but for that to happen it would need to travel

all the way up the tubing. I never had breast milk enter the tubing at all, although I did have a bit of condensation. Especially if I knew and trusted the previous owner, I would not hesitate to pump with a used pump.

Be sure to shop around if you decide to purchase a new pump. Specialty baby stores in my community charge $255, while our doctor’s office charges significantly less. It is also available online for $210 with free shipping. I would also recommend checking with your insurance provider, as some plans cover the costs of a pump.

From my experience, the Pump in Style is a quality product and I would absolutely use it again.

Medela Pump in Style breast pump

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 542809220640230/k2311a0928/9.28.07