Bell Mobility Cellular  » Cellular services  »
1.0
Ontario, Canada
  • I know what I make each month and I usually know roughly what I'm going to have spend each month
  • I called a number of co-workers to see if they were having a similar problem and found out that I was not alone
  • I was informed that it would cost me $99.00 to get out of the contract
  • We argued in a respectful manner about the issue
  • So, while I was happy that I got what I wanted, I was frustrated that it took so long for the company to take responsiblity for their error

• by Northern Woman
      I purchased my cell phone and plan through a corporate discount contract with my former employer about 1 1/2 years ago. I am anxiously awaiting my contract’s end next May. I get 200 local minutes a month, which I rarely use; however, I wanted a phone at the time because I worked shift work and often had to drive home at 3:00 a. m. on snow-covered roads.

Now, I am fully aware that it is my own fault for not buying a plan that suited me - but this was the only option that would give me a phone for free (the phone is a piece of garbage I will probably review seperately at another time). My main complaint is with the billing. Like most people, I do not have access to unlimited financial resources. I know what I make each month and I usually know

roughly what I’m going to have spend each month.

When Christmas comes, I really try to cut back on certain things so that I can get through the season without going into debt. Christmas is NOT when I want to get hit with a bill twice the normal size due to a billing error, but that is what happened to me. I opened my bill expecting it to be approximately $25 - it was over $50. Turns out they moved to a new computerized billing service months before and nobody at Bell realized that the system access fees were not being included.

So, in December, I got invoiced for these fees going all the way back to May when I contracted with them for the cellular service. As you can imagine, I was livid. I called a number of co-workers to see if they were having a similar problem and found out that I was not alone. I quickly dialled the customer service line to get some answers.

There was a long wait as many of their customers were calling for the same purpose! I called a number of times - only to receive scripted apologies for how sorry they were for the inconvenience, but that I’d still have to cough up the extra money even though it was their error. There was no acknowledgment that the double bill was coming at a time of year when many people are strapped for cash. After many weeks of getting no where fast, I finally called and asked to cancel my service. I was informed that it would cost me $99 to get out of the contract.

I told them to cancel it, but that I would not ...

• Bell Mobility Cellular
      be paying the cancellation fee. I then wrote a letter to Bell corporate headquarters in Toronto informing them that if they charged me $99 they would immediately lose all other accounts with us (Bell also provides cable, home telephone, long distance, and internet services). They could lose $99 from me once, or over $100 every month - it was their choice!

About a month later I received a phone call from a Bell representative regarding my letter. We argued in a respectful manner about the issue.

I was adamant that the dispute had been started by their lack of action over the billing problems. Finally, after 20 minutes of back-and-forth, the rep asked me what she had to do to win me back. I asked her to make me an offer. She said that if I agreed not to cancel my contract

they would take care of the $25 in extra system access fees and also give me one free month of service.

When all was said and done, it worked out to about $50. So, while I was happy that I got what I wanted, I was frustrated that it took so long for the company to take responsiblity for their error. I really feel that it didn’t have to go so far and take so much time. Most of my co-workers were not as persistent as I was and they didn’t get the discount.

My contract ends this May and I will not be renewing. I now have a 9-to-5 day job and don’t have the time to pester a cell company to get them to do the right thing when they have screwed up. Bell used to be a great company, and I expected better from them.

Brian David Parker says :

Bell Mobility usually keeps me on track with their selfserve App that came with my phone and I am really happy that they did. It truly does keep things simple and straight forward and that is why I enjoy it so much.

Actually, I was always informed that it would cost $ 150.00 CAD to get out and that is still my understanding today unless things have changed.

Lana A. says :

I’ve realized the same thing with bell. They tend to not want to cooperate with you until you threaten to leave them for a different company. Ive been with Bell for over three years now and I still have issues with them. However, if you learn to cut through all of their non-apologetic speeches about how sorry they are you are able to get them to do what you want. In the end I get free bills sometimes, I don’t pay for my voicemail or caller i.d and I get 10% off every bill.

And I think the cost to get out of the contract is 20/month with a minimum of $ 100.00 and a maximum of $ 400.00

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in December, 2005. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2231222040531/k2311a123/12.3.05