BBC miniseries  » Movies  »
  • The novel in this case is a work by Anthony Trollope, who is one of my favorite novelists, and I certainly wasn't disappointed in this movie
  • Sounds somber, I know, but the treatment of the story is so good, and there are so many subplots and fascinating characters that it is, all in all, a cheerful story
  • If you do watch the DVD, take the information with a grain of salt -- I think it has been largely sensationalized

• by Diane H

This is one of those splendid BBC adaptations that is almost as good as the original novel. The novel in this case is a work by Anthony Trollope, who is one of my favorite novelists, and I certainly wasn’t disappointed in this movie.

The story is about a wealthy young Englishman who suspects his innocent wife of having a liaison with an older friend of her father’s, and obsesses about it until it has destroyed

his life and his family. Sounds somber, I know, but the treatment of the story is so good, and there are so many subplots and fascinating characters that it is, all in all, a cheerful story. What I particularly like about Trollope’s novels is his depiction of the society of Victorian England, the long and gossipy conversations between the characters, and the understated humor of it all. Andrew Davies (who was also the screenwriter ...

• for several other top BBC dramas — the Colin Firth version of “Pride and Prejudice” and Gillian Anderson version of “Bleak House”, to name two of the most popular) was the screenwriter for this series, and he did another top-notch job.

If you like film adaptations of long Victorian novels (the film is in 4 parts, and totals 235 minutes), this is one you won’t want to miss. The copy I had came on 2

discs (there are apparently some 1-disc versions) and included a biographical “re-enactment” type of thing about Anthony Trollope as an additional feature. This was the only thing about this DVD I didn’t like — based on what I have read about Trollope it was somewhat inaccurate, and largely skewed toward modern attitudes. If you do watch the DVD, take the information with a grain of salt — I think it has been largely sensationalized.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 112209218271130/k2311a0922/9.22.07