Vanderbilt YMCA  » Hotels  »
224 East 47th Street in New York City
  • I was pleasantly surprised by the experience
  • What I found was that the YMCA's location could not have been better situated for my purposes
  • Next time I'll bring a dual plug adapter to solve that problem

• by Cholula

I recently spent two nights at the Vanderbilt YMCA, located at 224 East 47th Street in New York City. I was pleasantly surprised by the experience.

I had decided to take a quick trip to New York to see the sights, while airfares were very low. I needed a cheap place to sleep while I was there. I didn’t want anything fancy, just something clean and safe.

The Vanderbilt YMCA seemed to meet my needs, so I booked a room. The rate for a single room was about $80 per night. The rooms were described as small, but functional, with shared baths down the hall.

What I found was that the YMCA’s location could not have been better situated for my purposes. The facility is located within a ten-minute walk of Grand Central Station, of the NBC Studios

and Rockefeller Plaza, and about 15 minutes from Times Square. Two blocks away, in the other direction, is the United Nations Complex.

Inside the YMCA, I was greeted by very helpful staff clearly experienced in meeting the needs of travelers like me. They gave directions, provided a secure area where I could store my luggage before and after check out times, and answered any questions I had. Upstairs, I found the rooms as described - very small, but functional. My single room held a single bed, a small writing desk and chair, a television and a refrigerator. That was about it. Storage consisted of a small area at the foot of the bed, and some wire shelves on the walls. There is no question that it was very bare bones. But, the room ...

• was clean, and the air conditioner worked. And I was traveling to New York to see the sights, not sit in a hotel room!

The bathrooms were down the hall, with women’s and men’s facilities at opposite ends of the long hallway. There were actually two bathrooms for each sex, one consisting of a shower room, the other a more typical bathroom, with toilets, sinks and a shower. A pass code is required to access the bathrooms, and the doors can be locked from the inside while you are in the shower, to add privacy/safety.

All the facilities I used were clean, and well maintained. I had a room immediately adjacent to the elevator, and feared nighttime noise, but heard nothing either night.

If you stay at the Vanderbilt YMCA, be sure to make use of

the fitness facilities, which are included in your room rate. They have several floors of high-end fitness machines, free weights, at least one pool, sauna, steam room, etc. I neglected to make time for a work out, and regretted it. It looked like a really nice facility.

The only negatives I encountered during my stay? The mattresses are comfortable, but not as cushy as you would find in a nicer hotel. You get what you pay for, I guess. The other two negatives I found were that there no reading light above the bed, and for reasons I can not understand, there is no unused electrical outlet in the room. I had to unplug the refrigerator at night in order to charge my cell phone. Next time I’ll bring a dual plug adapter to solve that problem.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 21409214931030/k2311a0914/9.14.07