Dell Inspiron 1720
  • At first glance, it felt a bit heavy to carry around, but a good laptop backpack solved that problem for me
  • All in all, I haven't had much of an issue in terms of performance and compatibility of the software I use, mainly because it has been months since Vista's release and software updates have been available to address quite a good bit of the compatibility issues

• by Aaron James Santiago

This new offering from Dell packs quite a punch. Considered to be a desktop replacement because of its size, it makes good use of the space it has to put in as many features as possible. It has a good 17″ LCD and a great video card to compliment it (256MB Nvidia GeForce Go 8600M GT).

I had been given a choice regarding the color that my laptop would be in. I can’t remember all the color options available, but what I could remember was red, blue, green, and yellow. I’d say that it is quite nice to have

a say on what my portable would look like. It tends to get tiring for me to look at the typical silver, black, or white chassis.

As with most of the components, they can be customized based on what suits your needs. For my setup, I selected an 80GB Hard drive, 1GB 667Mhz DDR2 RAM, a DVD burner, and Windows Vista Home Premium as my operating system.

At first glance, it felt a bit heavy to carry around, but a good laptop backpack solved that problem for me. I’m not too sure though about people who travel a lot, since ...

• it weighs around 3 or 4 kgs. That’s a good reason it is called a desktop replacement.

I inspected the hardware and am pleasantly surprised to see two slots for hard drives, which makes expanding it easier. Adding more memory into the system is easier too. Not too many laptops are as expandable as this one.

There are however, some things that I didn’t particularly enjoy with this model. One, the expansion card slot is PCMCIA. The previous line of Dell portables that I’ve used have already switched to ExpressCard slots and those cards are not usable here. There is no

DVI slot, and only a VGA port is available for an external display. The performance could be improved by removing some of the preinstalled software that Dell laptops come with. Lastly, the battery sticks out a bit on the back [similar to that of the Inspiron 700m].

All in all, I haven’t had much of an issue in terms of performance and compatibility of the software I use, mainly because it has been months since Vista’s release and software updates have been available to address quite a good bit of the compatibility issues. I’d give it a 7 of 10 rating.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 631409214831030/k2311a0914/9.14.07