Sagada travel  » Travel  »
Philippines
  • My most memorable experience in Sagada happened about 7 years ago, when I had the opportunity to view the Hanging Coffins up close
  • I thought that they would stink or smell but since the last coffin had been put up there some thousand years ago, I guess the smell has already gone

• by jay-l

My most memorable experience in Sagada happened about 7 years ago, when I had the opportunity to view the Hanging Coffins up close. Sagada is well known for the burial tradition of the Mountain people wherein they put their dead into carved out logs (that actually look like canoes) and hang them on the cliffs surrounding the mountains. On my first vertical climb, we were able to see

the coffins up close. I thought that they would stink or smell but since the last coffin had been put up there some thousand years ago, I guess the smell has already gone. I was with some of the locals so I was able to climb the cliff and view their ancestors up close. If I had been with other tourists like myself, we would not have been allowed to go up because many people have tried to steal the coffins thinking that there are valuable items inside.

Sagada is one of the few places the Tourism industry has left untouched. Maybe because it was a long and butt painful ride up the mountain. Or it could be because there are really few commercial establishments up in Sagada that make people stay away. But for someone like ...

• Sagada travel
      me who loves peace and quiet, and to be just one with nature, Sagada is a paradise indeed. The locals speak their dialect but know Tagalog and some English as well, so there was no language barrier. And the people there are always smiling. Like this one tour guide we had, he was telling us how he had lost his crop during a storm. We thought that he
      would be forlorn after all that happened to him before, but he was smiling ear to ear like it was nothing at all. I guess, the people in Sagada are just really very happy and content people.

I have been going to Sagada for the past seven years, sometimes more than thrice a year if my schedule allows it. I always come home from the mountain feeling refreshed and very light hearted.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381309214681130/k2311a0913/9.13.07