Jekyll Island GA  » Travel  »
Jekyll Island, GA
  • Now while I don't like the busy city, I am still partial to all of the amenities - hotels with maid service, nice resturants and neat things to do
  • I would recommend being careful around the golf course, there is an alligator that lives in one of the water traps
  • We also enjoyed the nature walks - seeing how the salt water and fresh water mingle and who or what can live there - fascinating
  • Only problem, we were so busy showing them everything we have seen in our many visits to Jekyll, that we didn't have a lot of time to relax

• by Carol.Kurtz

I am a person who does not really enjoy the hustle and bustle of the big city. Traveling around Phoenix, while this may be much warmer than it is in the Northwoods, is not my idea of fun. (Just so you know, we live in the country near a no-stop-light little town, because we like it that way.)

For that reason, we love Jekyll Island, one of the barrier islands off the coast of Georgia, near Brunswick. Now, Brunswick does have stop lights and a WalMart and other citified requirements, but the moment you cross the causeway bridge, it is another world.

Now while I don’t like the busy city, I am still partial to all of the amenities - hotels with maid service, nice resturants and neat things to do. You can fine them all on Jekyll, plus a lot of things you will find no where else.

Try sitting on your patio, with a cup of coffee, drink watching the sun come up over the ocean. And bicycle paths with no hills - what more can you ask for. Since this is a small island, a bike is really all you need to get around. I would recommend being careful around the golf course, there is an alligator that lives in one of the water traps!

Especially pleasurable is a trip to the historic district. There is a great museum with the history of the island and a trolley trip to visit some of the restored “cottages”. There is a great deal of history on this island - did you know Henry Ford tried to ship “Spanish Moss” back to his factory to stuff the seats of Model T’s, but had to use another stuffing when they discovered little critters live in the Moss. As you ...

• go from the ocean side of the island with it’s palm trees, resturants and strip mall to the historic district with the restored cottages, Live Oak and the Jekyll Island Hotel, it is like going to another era. We love to sit on the porch in the rocking chairs and sit sweet tea.

We also enjoyed the nature walks - seeing how the salt water and fresh water mingle and who or what can live there - fascinating. And there is a “Sea Turtle” refuge - it has recently moved into a new home.

We love the sunset over the “Fishing Pier” and a walk down the “driftwood beach” on the north end of the island. We tried crabbing off the bridge, and had something nibbling our chicken liver, but didn’t catch any crabs.

There are lots of other things you can do there - we just never have the time, as we are

busy taking it easy. Low County Boil - fresh caught shrimp, sweet corn, potatoes and sausage - is a long remembered treat. We were lucky and had a real, live Georgia gal make it for us.

Since it is a small island, some folks might want to do a few other things. There is no shortage of those things as well, we climbed up the light house on St. Simons Island, just across from the fishing pier, drove out to the Cloister on Sea Island, made a trip to Amelia Island, FL and to Jacksonville.

It is truly the most relaxing and revitilizing vacation we have taken. Last winter we took my brother and sister plus mates and we had a wonderful time. Only problem, we were so busy showing them everything we have seen in our many visits to Jekyll, that we didn’t have a lot of time to relax.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381109213370430/k2311a0911/9.11.07