ripplehost.com:Ripple Host
2.0
  • I had a brief honeymoon period and the rest of my experience played out rather poorly
  • Because my newly developed website was more hobby than money making venture, I thought it couldn't hurt to try
  • I had no issue with performing any of those duties
  • In short, Ripple Host refused to acknowledge there was a problem and cut off all areas of communication with clients

• by JTech
      Earlier this year, I needed a webhost to store a non-critical website, meaning that I was interested in hosting a hobby site. Most of my business relies upon mission critical hosting, so I was completely uninformed as to the wide array of alternative hosting companies out there. After some extensive research, I chose Ripple Host (ripplehost. com). I had a brief honeymoon period and the rest of my experience played out rather poorly. Here’s what happened.

At $9. 99/yr. for 200 megabytes of space and 400 megabytes of transfer (bandwidth), my expectations were pretty low. I assume that the servers at Ripple Host would be overloaded, which may some day lead to speed issues. Because my newly developed website was more hobby than money making venture, I thought it couldn’t hurt to try.

My first obstacle was in signing up for this $9. 99/yr. plan on the Ripple Host site. Ripple Host’s main website is actually

a forum with the hosting plans listed neatly in the header. The sign-up itself was easy, but when Ripple Host failed to acknowledge my payment or communicate in any fashion with me, it took nearly a month for me to get up and running.

I tried emailing Ripple Host, posting on their forum, calling them, and I even sent a letter by USPS. Still, they offered me nothing. Finally, after 29 days, I received an email stating they’d made a mistake and I’d now been setup. I thought it best to look beyond this and move on, which is exactly what I did. Ripple Host offers CPanel hosting.

CPanel is a very easy-to-use control panel frequently installed on Linux servers. CPanel is the perfect method of control for novices and newbies and it didn’t take long for me to enter in my domain details or email addresses. Courtesy of CPanel, each user can ...

• form FTP accounts, email filters, add email addresses and create subdomains. I had no issue with performing any of those duties!

For the first month, things went very smoothly with Ripple Host! Sure, there were a few downtimes, but nothing that I worried about. Remember, I was hosting a hobby site.

I frequented their forums a handful of times during that first month and noted a couple angry posts, but because my luck had been mostly good, I didn’t put too much stock into it all. After all, people are more likely to complain than to extol graces upon any company. Then, it happened. Suddenly, my site went offline with no warning and worse yet, no explanation for weeks. Yes, I said weeks—three and a half weeks to be exact.

Ripple Host’s forum was still online, due largely in part to the fact that it’s hosted on a separate server, so I

put a post up and waited for a response from a member of the Ripple Host staff. My post was deleted, along with about ten others from different clients. In short, Ripple Host refused to acknowledge there was a problem and cut off all areas of communication with clients. Due to my hectic schedule, I let my hobby domain sit on server space owned by Ripple Host and concentrated on other areas of my life. After 28-days, my site and the missing server returned.

I’d like to say it was smooth sailing from here on in, but in reality, this repeated itself three times over the course of a single year. At that point, I moved on and am happily hosted elsewhere. Word of warning: Sometimes it is true: You get what you pay for!

PROS: **When it works, it’s great!

**CPanel is a friendly control panel for hosting management. CONS: **Zero customer service. **Owners do not respond to issues.

**A lot of downtime!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2005. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 15301121150530/k2311a1130/11.30.05