Cape Coast Castle
Cape Coast, Central Region Of Ghana
  • In fact I really enjoyed the cold breeze from the Atlantic Ocean in the hot afternoon
  • But I was not very much impressed about the toilet facilities in the castle

• by Fred k. Fianu

I was very excited when I visited the cape coast castle located at cape coast in the central and southern provinces of Ghana. This castle was built by the Danes and later occupied by the British in the olden days, when they were involved in the slave trade in Africa. My visit was triggered by the celebration of the cultural festival of the people of cape coast and its sourranding villages.

Tha area was noted for its tourism attractions but the remarkable scenery that attracted my attention was to witnesss traces of inhuman treatment of slaves before they were shipped to Europe. Before getting into the castle, I was required to pay an entrance fee which was the main source of income for the disttrict tourism office. The place was

well kept clean, painted with white and black colors. I was taken around the whole rooms by a castle guide who was very friendly and has a good sence of humor. We started from the upper floor to the rooms of the slave governor general, his offices, then to his subordinate’s rooms. After that I was taken to the common big hall where the slave were kept waiting to be shipped to Europe. There I saw traces of bows and arrows used by the slave masters in guarding them. I also saw chains and locks used to tighten the slaves during their stay in the castle under heavy security. There was a very bad odor in the rooms which was believed to be the traces of dead bodies and human ...

• parts during the olden days.

It reminds me of the experiences they may have gone through about three hundred years ago. The main exit point which was popularly known as “the point of no return” leadisng to the sea shore where the slaves passed through to the merchant ship was locked with an iron gate. After the rounds which were very exciting but very horrible to see, I was trying to imagine the suffering of these slaves before being taken to Europe and America to work in thier plantations about three hundred years ago. The people have been able to protect these monument for tourist attractions, which is fetching them alot of income and job.

After that, I took my lunch at the restaurant which was located at the upper tarrace of

the building overlooking the sea. The food was a typical local Ghanaian dishes, that is fufu and light soup or palm soup, but some few European dishes were also served but cannot be compared to any quality continental restaurant in Europe. In fact I really enjoyed the cold breeze from the Atlantic Ocean in the hot afternoon. But I was not very much impressed about the toilet facilities in the castle. The whole facility was not working efficiently as a result of shorttage of water, so I have to attenad to a “natures call” in the public toilet at the beach which was not to my liking. I really enjoyed my money’s worth by visiting the cape coast castle, my enjoyment was nearly marred by lack of good toilet facilities for visitors.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38409211290630/k2311a094/9.4.07