Singapore’s Chinatown  » Travel  »
Singapore
  • However, I don't really advise watching cinemas in this area since it is quite dirty and there are lots of adults X-rated films being shown all the time
  • Now, Pearl's Center is my favorite since this is where lots of cheap clothing stores are around and it is all in Eu Tong Sen Street as well

• by missy

Being someone living in Singapore, there is also Chinatown and it has been a definite place that I have been to countless times before. This place is located near to the MRT, or also stands for Mass Rapid Transit and it is a form of subway transport or something.

This small place in Singapore is very Chinese-oriented and certainly of a Chinese atmosphere. However, there are lots of things to see. It could be a bit smelly at times since the weather all year round is pretty tropical and hot. Whenever I come to Chinatown, I always make it a point to wear thin cotton shirt materials. The places that I frequent would be the Pagoda Street and Smith Street. There

are many second-hand things for purchases in Pagoda Street and walking along these places are kind of fun since the people there are mostly Chinese and you get to see how they talk, behave and do business.

The most nearest place to the MRT would be the People’s Park Complex. This shopping center specializes in electronics, clothing, clocks and Chinese Medicine. As for the Eu Tong Sen Street, there is a cinema which is in a shopping mall. However, I don’t really advise watching cinemas in this area since it is quite dirty and there are lots of adults X-rated films being shown all the time. I did watch a movie there once or twice and there were some older uncles who were quite “cheeky”.

• Now, Pearl’s Center is my favorite since this is where lots of cheap clothing stores are around and it is all in Eu Tong Sen Street as well. For those wanting Western food, there is this particular food joint called “Banquet”. It has lots of Asian food including Western. Some of them are steaks, fish and chips and many more. A lot of cold beverages could be found sold in Singapore’s Chinatown since Singapore people get thirsty easily.

There is also McDonald’s for those who can’t separate with this international fast food joint. The McDonald’s in Singapor are pretty same with the ones one can get overseas. There was this particular incident when I was riding with my boyfriend and this particular

tri-shaw man sort of pointed at us and in sign language said that I’m fat and not fit with my boyfriend. I was so angry but my boyfriend stopped me in time, saying that he is just an old man and to let him be. Apparently, I was quite chubby during that time and I was so angry that he could say something as that.

Last but not least, there are some favorite local delicacies which you must, must try and could be obtained in Chinatown and some other parts in Singapore. They are Seafood noodles, Ice Kacang (a blended ice with toppings like mango, cendol or ice-cream), sugar cane juice and many more. So, if you are heading down to Singapore, don’t forget to visit Singapore’s Chinatown.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38109209730230/k2311a091/9.1.07