Mel Fisher Maritime Museum  » Travel  »
0.5
Key West - Florida, USA
  • Now, Key West is interesting and I would need a separate review to write about whether this place is totally positive or negative
  • That was in the Caribbean Sea and after that, we went into the exhibit area where there were replicas of things found on the sunken ship and it was a boring sight since the artifacts were pretty small and difficult to see with the naked eyes
  • However, the whole layout was presented in a somewhat useless way and I thought more could be done to make it more informative
  • I think that the management has made some pretty easy money through these artifacts and they should be ashamed of themselves

• by missy

Key West is a nice place in Florida, but the travel destination that my aunt’s family had gone to with me which is Mel Fisher Maritime Museum was a total waste of time. This museum is indeed located in Key West and I really found this place to be a wreck. There seemed to be only cheap reproductions and the theater was kind of a real scare.

Now, Key West is interesting and I would need a separate review to write about whether this place is totally positive or negative. But Mel Fisher Maritime Museum is a sure no-no. This museum was located right across from

Westin Hotel and we had to pay around $10 or $11 per person. I went with my aunt and her husband for the museum trip and when we first entered the first floor, it seemed like a pretty large museum. The entrance was kind of awkward to me since the desk that was near the door was pretty high and the entrance point was kind of crowded when we first entered. The exit door was there as well and the museum gift shop was also located in a small area near the door. Why couldn’t they just space out these things was out of my imagination.

• My aunt whispered to me that the entrance fee sort of covered for all these things that we saw and that it was kind of an overprice.

We then went into this small theater were we watched a 20 minutes long film about Mel Fisher and how he came upon the lost treasures centuries ago. That was in the Caribbean Sea and after that, we went into the exhibit area where there were replicas of things found on the sunken ship and it was a boring sight since the artifacts were pretty small and difficult to see with the naked eyes. The only highlight that

I found kind of interesting in the museum was the sunken slave ship because there were some educational cards and photos. However, the whole layout was presented in a somewhat useless way and I thought more could be done to make it more informative.

Basically, there was nothing much and it was more the hype than the actual things in it. I think that the management has made some pretty easy money through these artifacts and they should be ashamed of themselves. Mel Fisher Maritime Museum is something that I don’t really recommend unless there have been recent updates to make the museum more interesting and money-worth.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in September, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 38109209720230/k2311a091/9.1.07