Camp Wanakita Toronto  » Travel  »
Toronto, ON, Ca
  • Of course, now that I think back on it, there's nothing wrong with wooden cabins at all - I mean I haven't been to a lot of camps so when I think about camp, I think about wilderness, and when I think about wilderness, I think of cabins, etc. However when I first saw that, I was like 'No waaaay

• by shiro_manjuu

Camp Wanakita is a camp I went a few years back with my school. It was a winter camp so it was unlike any other summer camps I have been to in the past. I wasn’t sure of what to expect - in normal summer camps you have a campfire, you canoe, you swim, you do summery things basically. I was still kind of new to Canada and I usually am not a fan of sports, even winter/snow activities so I was worried that I would not enjoy myself here. However it was so fun that I couldn’t have been more wrong to begin with. For starters, the people taking care of us - the staff and camp people - they were awesome. They are so funny! They crack jokes all the time - but not that weird kind of joke to fill out silence and then it gets so awkward - no, they’re actually good. They are also very understanding that some people are new to Canada so they try to guide them too. All in all, the

staff are a very helpful bunch. To begin with, we were shown where we would be sleeping � in wooden cabins! Of course, now that I think back on it, there’s nothing wrong with wooden cabins at all - I mean I haven’t been to a lot of camps so when I think about camp, I think about wilderness, and when I think about wilderness, I think of cabins, etc. However when I first saw that, I was like ‘No waaaay! We’re sleeping HERE? Where are we showering? Oh my god is this even safe? Oh my god’ etc’ I mean, I was like 9. So’ yeah. I mean a lot of kids wouldn’t have cared but not me. Anyway you shower in the main bath room in the ‘main hall’ place, which has a name but I kind of forgot about it. Everyone showers there - only no one ever did! I don’t know why - I mean yeah it was only for 3 days, so people went on 3 days without showering! Can you imagine how gross ...

• that is? I mean yeah we were kids so we were not likely to care about stuff like this, but concentrate more on games, but now I think about it . Ew. However it wasn’t that bad because keep in mind - this is a winter camp, you don’t sweat as much. Still, that’s not to say you DON’T sweat’

Anyway moving away from that topic, the food was alright. Most people don’t like camp food but for me, who only eat asian foods back at home, I was really happy about the food because it’s like ‘English’ food like spaghetti and lasagna - normal for people here, but really different for me. And it just feels nice to be eating away from home, away from your parents, and with your friends too. After dinner, sometimes we’ll have these group activities in the dark, which required us to wear these vests that reflect light so it is easier to find us if we ever get lost. Sometimes we will have scavenger hunts in the dark! And tag! That was pretty

fun. I mean - I have never played tag in the dark before.

Also - we got to try skiing! For me, it was my very first time. Of course, it was the first time for many people also - so we weren’t about to go down any hills or anything. In fact, we are just gliding along the flat fields - which is still fun because you are trying something new. I am glad that I did - because this led me to go on a ski trip in my later years and I picked it up pretty quickly.

We also got to try snowshoes! I mean when I first heard of it, I didn’t even have a clue what a snowshoe was - it’s kind of like a tennis racket but you wear it on your shoes so it is easier to navigate in the snow without falling. It’s fun! Though we had more fun falling down because sometimes you are walking too close to others and you step on them instead. Overall it’s a great camp!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 383008208890631/k2311a0830/8.30.07