Living Desert  » Leisure  »
Palm Desert - California
  • This is a more interesting place than say the zoo in general as it is the best reason to get to see desert creatures up close
  • Therefore, it was a very nice experience to bring my little brother at that time
  • Here, we found nice animals like coyotes, hawks, bobcats, Mexican wolves and other amazing animals
  • As we were about to make our way to the next exhibit, which was the African deserts, we noticed an endangered bighorn sheep which was a native in the area around Palm Desert
  • I would definitely say that it is better to have a tour guide rather than exploring yourself

• by missy

When my youngest brother was around 8 years old before, my whole family had brought him and myself to the Living Desert in Palm Desert, California. This is a more interesting place than say the zoo in general as it is the best reason to get to see desert creatures up close. A lot of countries do not have this feature, including my own country since there is no desert in my homeland. Therefore, it was a very nice experience to bring my little brother at that time.

The tour guide person told us that the Living Desert was first created in 1970 and it was done to preserve the wildlife. After so many years, there are existing around 400 animals and of that, around 100 over species. There are many

varieties of desert plants too, besides animals. We went around 3 PM and the admission prices were around $8.50 for adults and $4+ for children under 3. There are cheaper summer prices and since we went around summer that time, my brother got the $3 price ticket since he was under 12. As for the rest of us, it was a discount of $6.50 each. That was kind of a nice price if you ask me.

First we went off to the North American deserts. Here, we found nice animals like coyotes, hawks, bobcats, Mexican wolves and other amazing animals. My most favorite would be the golden eagle. It was definitely fascinating seeing it. As we were about to make our way to the next exhibit, which was ...

• the African deserts, we noticed an endangered bighorn sheep which was a native in the area around Palm Desert. That was also told by the tour guide and he made sure that we always kept a safe distance from the animals. In the African deserts, there was also an African Village that was made up artificially and in it were camels, hyenas, leopards and the likes. It was a real nice experience and I was totally in awe, together with my youngest brother.

Next we made our way to the botanical gardens which was on the exhibit on the local Native Americans, and I got a picture of how they lived last time. It was truly amazing and I was like asking myself, “How on earth do they survive with

all these wild animals on the free?\” We stopped for a while to get some snacks and there was a cafe selling great sandwiches and also a gift shop. That was like my mom\’s favorite and she bought some nice stuffs for my brother. We were already tired after eating and my dad suggested we go to the Discovery Room. In it were exhibits like puppet shows and shows showing what animals eat and stuff like that. There was even a story telling show.

I forget to mention that all along, we were in the guided tour called The Desert Explorer. I would definitely say that it is better to have a tour guide rather than exploring yourself. In short, Living Desert is a must see for all.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 612708207661131/k2311a0827/8.27.07