Wicked the Musical  » Theatre  »
Canon Theatre, Toronto, ON
  • While I have been to quite a few musicals my favourite one to date has been Wicked
  • Glinda's wardrobe in particular is amazing, with all kinds of pretty frocks

• by C. Mallon

While I have been to quite a few musicals my favourite one to date has been Wicked. I’m sure that it helps that I’m already an enthusiast for all things “Wizard of Oz”, but this musical has all of the ingredients for a successful broadway show.

I saw Wicked at the Canon Theatre, which had very comfortable seating, and a very nice entrance. It did seem very crowded during intermissions and after the show, however.

The plot line is hip and updated. It is

the story of Elphaba (Idina Menzel), the Wicked Witch and Glinda (Kristen Chenoweth) the Good Witch BEFORE Dorothy lands in Munchkinland. It chronicles the time that they spend in Shiz, a boarding school, and it merges beautifully with The Wizard of Oz tying all things in.

The sets are detailed, with one highlight being the large fire breathing dragon that starts the show off (and seems purely decorational until you see it move). The backdrops are beautiful colours, and the set changes were all ...

• done with haste and flawlessly when I was there.

Not only are the music and the songs wonderful, but the cast performs them wonderfully. A definite highlight is Elphaba’s “Defying Gravity”, although the music is so great that it will leave you begging for the soundtrack at the end of the musical. Another great scene is back in the girl’s dorm room while Glinda tries to make Elphaba “Popular”. Kristen Chenoweth is so cute and loveable in spite of her snobbiness in this

scene.

The cast was believable and the costumes and special effects made you feel as if you were actually in Shiz, or the Emerald City. Glinda’s wardrobe in particular is amazing, with all kinds of “pretty frocks”.

The only downside to this musical is that I’ve only seen it once, but I’m hoping to correct that the next time that it comes to any town near me again.

I’m rating it a 10/10 as I feel like this is a hip musical anyone would love.

Wicked the Musical
    Teri says :

I saw wicked about 7 months ago at the Pantages in LA and just saw it this week same place. There was a hillarious scene I was waiting for that never happened. I believe the scene was with the wizard and his press secratay. I remember there being a lot of sexual innuendos in this musical . Does this happen often are scenes deleted? Where can I find information about this particular scene?

Darren says :

If you go to broadway.com and type in Wicked under videos, it will show you all the scences from the play. Hope this helps

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 322108206760331/k2311a0821/8.21.07