New Zealand Haka Dance
  • That was the first time I saw the Haka dance, my feeling was so strong when I was watching it

• by rinaus

Last year, I came to Hong Kong to watch International Rugby Seven. This is the first time I have seen live match on the field, and this is also the first time I see Rugby. My husband had to explain for me all rules of this sport. When the New Zealand got on the field for the final cup match, they started to dance with screaming after finishing national anthem. That was the first time I saw the Haka dance, my feeling was so strong when I was watching it. My husband told me, there is only New Zealand do the

Haka when they play Rugby. The field was so noisy, and suddenly it became so quite when the Haka was started. Not only the New Zealand, but also the field put all our soul into the Haka performance. I’m sure that they are very proud of that. After finishing the field was so exciting and support to New Zealand. Some people just come and enjoy the New Zealand Haka performance.

Later I have known Haka is a traditional war dance form of the Maori of New Zealand. It is a posture dance with shouted accompaniment, performed by a group. They ...

• are one kind of culture and art as well. Traditionally, haka were used only in Maori cultural contexts, but today haka are used in a wide range of public occasions to impart a sense of the importance of the event. The most famous modern use is the regular performance by New Zealand’s national rugby union team, the All Blacks.

The Haka has described like various actions are employed in the course of a performance, including facial contortions such as showing the whites of the eyes and the poking out of the tongue, and a wide variety of vigorous body actions such as

slapping the hands against the body and stamping of the feet. As well as chanted words, a variety of cries and grunts are used. Haka may be understood as a kind of symphony in which the different parts of the body represent many instruments. The hands, arms, legs, feet, voice, eyes, tongue and the body as a whole combine to express courage, annoyance, joy or other feelings relevant to the purpose of the occasion.(Source of McLean, Mervyn, 1996. Maori music. Auckland: Auckland University Press).

You can find New Zealand Rugby - All Black Haka Performance on YouTube or at this direct link: http://www.linkinn.com/_NEW_ZEALAND_RUGBY_ALL_BACK_HAKA_PERFORMANCE_NEW_VERSION_VIDEO-rinaus

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 592108206720331/k2311a0821/8.21.07