A Real Young Girl (NR, 2001) movie  » Movies  »
1.0
  • I enjoyed that Breillat supplied viewers with an extremely intimate take on female adolescence/ womanhood
  • Personally, I found the sexual references disturbing rather than ironic

• by Famous

I was interested in watching all of Catherine Breillat’s films when I saw the movies “Fat Girl” and “Sex is Comedy. ” But in watching 2001’s “A Real Young Girl”, I was just left confused.

I enjoyed that Breillat

supplied viewers with an extremely intimate take on female adolescence/ womanhood.

But I wish that the format weren’t so “amateurish”.

I didn’t really connect with the main character, a 14 year old girl named Alice (who looks ...

• 25, I might add).

But through her experiences, I suppose the audience is to be both horrified and fascinated by Alice’s perspective on her budding sexuality.

Personally, I found the sexual references disturbing rather than ironic.

And I really could have done without the urination scene.

At any rate, Breillat is a great French film director with lots of vision.

I suppose this vision just happened to be a little lost on me.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111708205960231/k2311a0817/8.17.07