Alcatraz Island  » Travel  »
San Francisco
  • It really gave me the creeps at that time and I just wanted to go home
  • I thank God for being so lucky in life so far and hope that it will remain that way all the way through

• by missy

In San Francisco, I have been to this great island called Alcatraz Island. This place is a little peculiar in the sense that there was a guarded tour to the cell house and there were things to be told and learned. I have been to this place with my boyfriend, his friend and the girlfriend. We went; just the 4 of us and we had such a great fun over in this island.

I would start off with the only 2 cons to this place and it would be that there were lots of steep hills that lead to the cell house where we witnessed some great historical stories. And the next thing that was a con was the fact that the tours appeared to be crowded at times and it was tough trying to get some space for air.

The rest of it was pure fun

and we climbed some flight of stairs to reach the cell house. After that, we arrived in a room with some Alcatraz employees that greeted us very warmly. They appeared to be very nice and full of helpful information. We were also given an audio tour of the cell house and after that, we roamed freely around it. It was pretty scary but the place was laced with several languages since tourists that came were from all over the world. We were then given a small earphone and a small digital recorder that was to be placed around our necks. The buttons that were available were play and stop and it was easy to do that together with the tour. The scary part was trying to imagine and getting an idea of how the days was back then when Alcatraz was a home ...

• to hundreds of hardened criminals. There were voices everywhere and there was a lot of time that I squeezed my boyfriend’s hands and pressed the stop button. There was no pause button, so it was not cool, ha! Other than that, the legend of Alcatraz was very real and it gave me the creeps. My boyfriend\’s friend girlfriend, who was called Lizzy, was also very frightened and we huddled close together. Our boyfriends appeared to be unaffected and I was wondering how on earth they appeared to be so composed.

We were then brought to 4 blocks, starting with block A and ending with block D. There were around 300+ cells in blocks B and C and it was so scary to enter this massive room and to be looking at some metal bars stacked high. It really gave me the creeps at

that time and I just wanted to go home. The cells were all empty and Alcatraz Island is just a place to remember what these people had been going through. I thank God for being so lucky in life so far and hope that it will remain that way all the way through.

Last but not least, no matter how scared I am of being in Alcatraz Island, this cell house is a definite tour for those of you who are spiritual and would want to know what it was like last time, and not to take life for granted. I got my lesson well learned and I am glad I made that brave journey. So, do you dare going to Alcatraz Island with just about anyone you love? I did, and I praise the place for certain reasons, and not for entertainment or pure relaxation.

Alcatraz Island

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381708205890231/k2311a0817/8.17.07