Alamo NV travel  » Travel  »
1.0
Nevada, USA
  • With reference to my title for this review ( Lord Of The Flies , taken from the British film), you'll not find any lost English children chasing wild boars or each other through Alamo, Nevada, but you may find the experience of visiting, or even traveling through, this hamlet nearly as disconcerting
  • I found that irritating, (but not as irritating as the roaring of diesel trucks, which can be heard from every house and spot in the little town)

• by cheephillippe

With reference to my title for this review (”Lord Of The Flies”, taken from the British film), you’ll not find any lost English children chasing wild boars or each other through Alamo, Nevada, but you may find the experience of visiting, or even traveling through, this hamlet nearly as disconcerting. Your unpleasantries will begin the first time you open your car door - to get gas, a meal (not at the truck stop! - I’ll explain in a moment), or stay at a motel. This is all it takes for flies to cover your car’s interior.

Cattle are raised in this area, and flies follow the cattle

(the first motel as you enter town, where I had a reservation made over the Internet without benefit of having first visited the place, hosts a “horse hotel” adjacent to the people motel - fifty feet away!). Need I say more? Call this place Fly Town.

Now, apart from this singularly repelling feature, let me round out a picture of Alamo - there’s one decent place to eat on the north side of town. Go there.

The other two places are “truck stops”, in name only. The one where I ate advertised hamburgers for $1.

33. I ordered two, and was charged nearly nine dollars! I refused to ...

• pay, and after a protracted squabble, my bill was reduced to four dollars (a correct price, as I finally ordered fench fries).

The town library is a cute little place, and a nice young lady staffs the place. There’s a pleasant little park behind a Mormon facility.

Nearly all Alamo’s streets are dead-end streets. So in going from one place to another, you must almost always get back out to the main highway.

I found that irritating, (but not as irritating as the roaring of diesel trucks, which can be heard from every house and spot in the little town). Not that there are many places to

go in Alamo.

My recommendations to the city fathers would involve large amounts of insecticide and a fleet of bulldozers, a borrowed City Planner who has no affection for dead-end streets. I suppose that there are cooks to be found in the area - in family kitchens.

Get one of them to run a proper truck stop cookery. You never know what sort of town it could be one day.

If you are visiting central Nevada, just pass through Alamo - with your windows rolled up (there’s gas less than ten minutes north of there, in Ash Springs - otherwise, long stretches of road present themselves, without fuel).

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 381308204381231/k2311a0813/8.13.07