R.O.M. (Royal Ontario Museum)  » Art  »
100 Queen’s Park, Toronto
  • It�s really interesting with the greeks � how they dressed, how they went about their daily lives
  • You even get to see what they ate � I like how they have models of the people doing stuff like sewing clothing (you get to see old fashion sewing machines) and actual plastic models of their food
  • They have a lot of text and information with the models but not everyone reads them, so I think it�s really good idea with all those models
  • It was a nice experience from actual conventional research like going to the library

• by shiro_manjuu

This is another science museum in Ontario though it is more old than the Ontario Science Center. This is not really about sciences at all, but more about cultural stuff. We went this long ago when we were studying races and cultures and their traditions. It�s really interesting with the greeks � how they dressed, how they went about their daily lives. For each culture/traditional they have a separate section so you can learn tons of stuff about it. You even get to see what they ate � I like how they have models of the people doing stuff like sewing clothing (you get to see old fashion sewing machines) and actual plastic models of their food. They have a lot of text and information with the models but not everyone reads them, so I think it�s really good idea with all those models.

The most interesting thing for me was the china one because I know

more than just a little bit about Chinese traditions. It was really nice to see all the clothes that I have seen in movies and stuff � and of course the old fashion sewing machines that my friend has a version of it in her basement! The only thing I didn�t like was that we weren�t allowed to take pictures because they are scared that the flash will ruin some of the artifacts (they actually have real mummies) but everyone just does it anyway, but without the flash.

My favourite section was the Victorians. I�m sure you can guess why � their clothing. It was so exquisite and nice � all those dresses and petticoats. It�s something I would love to see one day but I don�t think I ever will in this age. So it was really nice to see it in front of me. I can see very fine little details in the dresses and ...

• I think that�s what it looked like back then. It was really realistic. Also there�s a little bonus activity if you go with a school. They actually get to let you roleplay the different cultures! I think they sometimes even lend out the costumes for kids to try on � though of course it�s not the expensive fancy looking kinds since it may easily be ruined. However it�s a nice experience. Not everyone gets to try on Victorian styled dresses everyday.

I remember at the time, I went because of a big school project and paper I was working on. It was on the Japanese culture. I remember learning lots about geishas (art performers) and just the Japanese meal and how their family systems worked back then. I also got to learn a bit about their language! There�s this thing where you press a button and they say the language for you. It�s quite interesting. There�s also

this model of a Japanese person doing calligraphy. They are revered for really refined arts. I remember sitting there doing sketches and everything. It was a nice experience from actual conventional research like going to the library. And let�s face it. In the information age when we need research materials, we�ll just go online and look. Not very many people actual visit museums for information anymore. Thus this was a very nice change and I remember it helping me on my paper.

There are many other exhibits so it�s impossible to explore everything in one day. I think this is a really nice experience especially for kids to learn about how there are things like people and their traditions that differ to our own, to what we are familiar with � and it teaches them people are different, and can extend that to even stuff like religions. Plus looking at all the models and stuff are kind of fun.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 181108203970331/k2311a0811/8.11.07