Washington Art Museum Washington DC  » Art  »
Washington DC
  • Some places I noticed aren�t brightly light and I wonder why since it was such a contrast from that fountain room
  • But they weren�t lit during the daylight which is a shame because I think that's why the room is so dimmed
  • Personally I thought it was a bit rude � it's hard enough to concentrate already with so many people � but with flashes going off

• by shiro_manjuu

There are a bunch of museums in Washington DC. Some of them are about 1 hour to 2 hours away from the white house itself. One of the ones that really stick out is the art museum because of the beautiful building and artworks itself. I would expect artworks on the inside but I wasn’t expecting them on the outside as well. They have art works with PLANTS. Like they cut them in really nice shapes and animal � as well as statues of animals. Also, they have this REALLY big pyramid made out of blocks � just white rectangular blocks that resemble tofu. As simple as this, it looks like a piece of artwork standing in front of me. The building itself is pure white, with two big pillars holding up this roof. On the inside immediately you see this nice fountain surrounded with flowers. They seem to have a lot of fountains in there and this is only one of them. They

have different rooms and everything for artworks from different eras (of art like impressionism and stuff). I myself is an artist but not really into fine arts so I didn’t really know how to appreciate some of the artworks and even if it was painted by someone famous, I didn�t know. Some of the artwork I have to admit looks kind of strange� but maybe I just don’t� know how to appreciate this. I’m sure a lot of people into art will though. It was a really hot day that day so everyone was kind of dulled and tired. So they have couches in every room for us � or just for bored people. There’s also another nice fountain but this time it was in a nicely lit room � everything was white, kind of heavenly and they even have some sculpture art of angels, which is appropriate. A lot of people will try to take the picture of the fountain and everyone pushes ...

• you and stuff! Be careful with the steps between the fountain � they are steeped. I was unfortunate enough to witness someone slipping on it. They didn’t look hurt but you could have been really hurt because the floor wasn’t carpeted.

Some places I noticed aren�t brightly light and I wonder why since it was such a contrast from that fountain room. There are a lot of sculptures on the wall holding up torches or something. But they weren�t lit during the daylight which is a shame because I think that’s why the room is so dimmed. It would have been so nice to see this at night where they lit the torches with actual fires. I think that would have been a nice atmosphere.

To further emphasis the whole art and freelance thing, they even have a real artist in the atrium in the middle of his work � he was drawing those still life things. It was nice � I never seen a

real artist draw in front of me � they work pretty fast. A lot of people were taking pictures of him. Personally I thought it was a bit rude � it’s hard enough to concentrate already with so many people � but with flashes going off?

They also have more sculpture art in the upper floor of a lot of things � nude marble sculptures and other animals. I think there was one of a gargoyle but it was in white stone which is kind of contrasting because gargoyles are always in those scary fantasy movies. However I really liked that piece of art. If you want to pick up something to remember this museum by, there’s also a souvenir shop. I picked up this keychain that has a four leaf clover on it, made by clay. Also this nice postcard. The prices are really expensive since you are in an art gallery but you can find a few things that are worth the price.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 181108203960331/k2311a0811/8.11.07