DVD: Hidden Places  » Movies  »
  • I enjoyed watching Hidden Places very much
  • Sometimes there is nothing more I like than a wholesome movie without violence, swearing, and car crashes
  • I recommend it as a family movie or to the young man who wants to convince a young woman just how sensitive he can be

• by tfedge

I enjoyed watching “Hidden Places” very much. Made for television by Hallmark Entertainment, the a wholesome, family-oriented film comfortably entertains without being overly sweet. The family owns an orange grove in California but faces the threat of foreclosure by the bank. If this sounds familiar, it should because it is remarkably similar to the superior 1984 “Places in the Heart” starring Sally Field and Danny Glover.

Sydney Penny is the female lead of the show. She shines in

the role of a widowed woman with two children to raise during the Great Depression. Apparently she has appeared in a number of soaps, but I recognized her as the striking young girl in “Pale Rider.” Penny plays a credible job in the role and is exceedingly beautiful.

“Hidden Places” also stars Jason Gedrick, whom I failed to recognize. A look at the Internet Movie Database showed that he has starred in a variety of television shows that ...

• I’ve failed to watch including “Desperate Housewives” and a number of others I had never heard of, but I don’t tend to watch a lot of current network television shows except for “Monk” and several shows on CBS. Gedrick plays Gabe, a drifter who arrives to help Penny save the farm and to fall in love with both Penny and her two children. In the background are Shirley Jones as Aunt Batty, Barry Corbin as the sheriff and
        Tom Bosley as the reluctant to foreclose local banker.

Sometimes there is nothing more I like than a wholesome movie without violence, swearing, and car crashes. “Hidden Places” offers an excellent contrast to the current crop of summer movies that are produced unemcumbered by either thought or good taste. I recommend it as a family movie or to the young man who wants to convince a young woman just how sensitive he can be. I give it an 88% or B.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11408202370331/k2311a084/8.4.07