Forbidden Island  » Travel  »
Saipan
  • The rocks were sharp, so better be ready to wear slippers or those aqua shoes

• by Honey

Located at the east side of the island, Forbidden Island is undeveloped and untouched. You will see some litters on the shores, but these probably came from the ferries or other boats crossing. Few people go to Forbidden Island because you will need to hike through a forest to get there.

My friend said that the hike will be worth it once we reach the Forbidden island. And she was right.

The forest wasn’t really that thick,

and there was already a path leading to the beach. There were massive rock formations and small pools scattered all over the place.

We chose a good spot where there was a big enough salt water pool to accommodate ten people. We set up our bags, tents and our food.

I saw some people but they were some 30 meters away and they didn’t really care much about the newcomers. There were fishes and some small corals ...

• in the pool that we chose.

We swam a bit, although it wasn’t that deep. I took my mask and underwater camera and started taking pictures of the colorful ocean life.

Because I didn’t think of bringing my aqua shoes (I don’t really know what they’re called), my feet got scratched and started bleeding a little. The rocks were sharp, so better be ready to wear slippers or those aqua shoes.

We had intended to stay the

night there, and have a bonfire at the sandy shore; but because the tides were getting big, we didn’t have any place to start a bonfire and decided to leave before it was dark. There’s no electricity here, and literally dark.

The hike back was the longest one I ever took! It was dark and I kept stumbling on rocks in the forest and some roots. My friend was right; the trek towards Forbidden Island was well worth it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 382907196000231/k2311a0729/7.29.07