Saving Grace  » TV  »
  • I've always been a Holly Hunter fan - so I was happy to see her in primetime (TNT)

• by Pat Merewether

Think “Touched by an Angel” and an even edgier “NYPD Blue” - and you’ve sort of got the idea. I’ve always been a Holly Hunter fan - so I was happy to see her in primetime (TNT).

I could have done without the opening ‘I’m bad - I’m naked - I drink - smoke - yadayada” scene - talk about being hit over the head.

Then there’s

the tobbacco/chewing bottle/spitting ‘angel’ that’s supposed to straighten her out.

YUCK.

Don’t they have showers and razors in heaven? This guy is more than gross.

Where’s Moprgan Freeman when you really need him?

They do have to ‘hook’ the audience right away - but they don’t have to club us to death once we’re on board.

There’s so much thrown at you in the ...

• first show - she’s bad, she’s a cop, she’s a drunk driver, she’s having sex with a married man, she has a cute nephew and a dead sister, and is headed for hell.

She also likes to punch guys out.

They certainly have a lot to work with in order to get this soul into heaven.

In the midst of all this ‘noir’ are ‘Touched

by an Angel’ “Are you ready to be saved?!” moments that yank you out of the eyebrow-raising grit and throw you into a revival meeting.

Im hoping this show will mellow out and slow down a bit.

And I really hope that angel guy stops spitting tobbacco juice into that Mountain Dew bottle.

He needs to lose those freaky wings - haven’t we gotten past the need for that visual?

Saving Grace

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 102607194371031/k2311a0726/7.26.07