Memoirs of a Geisha
  • It's one of those films where you feel guilty if you don't rave over how amazing it is, but I just get sad thinking about the life of this child geisha
  • Perhaps it's my female liberation or my experience living in Asia, but the entire thing just makes me bummed out

• by Emily Valentino

Rob Marshall turned a New York Times’ Bestseller into a Hollywood box office hit. I have to admit though, it’s not a film I would want to watch over and over again.

It’s brilliant.

Emotional.

Deep.

That said, it’s kind of depressing despite the ending.

The entire film has a bit of a shadow cast over it, like a beautiful day overcast with clouds.

It’s almost chilly.

Cold ...

• even.

It’s one of those films where you feel guilty if you don’t rave over how amazing it is, but I just get sad thinking about the life of this child geisha.

Perhaps it’s

my female liberation or my experience living in Asia, but the entire thing just makes me bummed out.

The life of a geisha, while celebrated and exalted, is nonetheless heart-breaking.

Not my favorite film.

Memoirs of a Geisha
    The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111907188480831/k2311a0719/7.19.07