Manila Zoo  » Leisure  »
2.0
Philippines
  • But I believe that with a little more concern from other people as well as funding from the government

• by Honey

When I heard the news that the City of Manila is considering tearing down Manila Zoo to build a home for the PBA (Philippin Basketball Association), I was crushed. I admit that Manila Zoo is not state of the art, or even well kept at that. But it holds very fond memories of my childhood.

The Elephant that is housed there is the same one that I saw when I was but a little girl. Manila Zoo is a historical place, and century old trees grow there.

Although it only holds some

500 animals and about 100 species, it’s still a haven for many animals. Many families visit the zoo, as well as many schools for educational trips.

It was in Manila Zoo that I first saw real live elephants, tigers and lions. It was here that my fear of monkeys started (the chimpanzee pulled my hair when I was in 2nd grade and I’ve been scared of them ever since).

There’s also the orangutan that spits on everybody and the baboons who love showing their bottoms. Last weeked, my friend and I took ...

• a trip to Manila Zoo, to get pictures of all the animals one last time before the facility is torn down.

It was still the same place, still dirty and the animals still unhealthy. But I believe that with a little more concern from other people as well as funding from the government; this zoo could very well turn into one of the Philippines tourist attractions.

It is the lack of education that has made this zoo, the way it is now. And I fear that the children coming in are not

learning to care for nature.

We saw parents telling their children to feed the monkeys, some of them even throwing empty cans of soda into the lion’s den. Trash cans were everywhere, but there were plenty of trash littering the whole place.

The staff, well, they were nowhere in sight; maybe tending to more important things other than keeping the whole place clean. Even if Manila Zoo has turned to a hell hole for these animals, it would be unfair for them to lose their homes, just so the basketball team can have theirs.

Manila Zoo
    ed says :

ask ko lng anung contact number sa manila at open ba sila ng Nov. 1.

MEV says :

Hi Ed,

Contact number for Manila Zoo is 02 364 2469.

Jerry Young says :

re : But I believe that with a little more concern from other people as well as funding from the government
    I agree the place needs more support from the government like the way Imelda Marcos did decades ago but it is not true that animals are unhealthy and the place is dirty unless you happen to visit on a holiday when there are a lot of people there who would just throw their trash every where. We need to educate the people, encourage them to do their share and not rely on/blame the keepers for the way Manila Zoo is. There are keepers around but they cannot be at the same place all at the same time, one keeper handles more than one enclosure. Animals at the zoo are receiving the best care possible, many of them live way past their life expectancy, Bertha the hippo was over 60 when she died, 2 tigresses are said to be over 30 when they can live up to 15 years only in the wild, the red faced macaque is around 30 also. Many animals at the zoo are donated and they usually arrived in bad shape due to old age or poor care by their previous owners but the vets successfully nursed them back to health.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 611707187300631/k2311a0717/7.17.07