4 July Parade Columbus  » Entertainment  »
1.0
Columbus, WI
  • My biggest problem with the parade actually began before it even started

• by Steve

When I was younger, the annual Fourth of July Parade in Columbus Wisconsin was one of the few things I looked forward to in the summer. And, I would like that to be the same with my daughter. However, after attending the parade yesterday, I have to say it is quickly becoming a big waste of time with more to hate about it than like.

My biggest problem with the parade actually began before it even started. The parade starts at noon and we were there by 10.

Yet, there was no place to sit. In the past, the city of

Columbus would allow people to put their chairs out the night before and, I’m fine with that.

However, many people around the city have obviously gotten carried away with it and, rather than putting out their chairs; something that still gives other people an opportunity to find a spot in between them, many roped off large sections of the sidewalks and front yards even if all they had was one or two people sitting there. We almost had to go home before we were told we could sit in a local gas station’s parking lot.

The parade itself was a disappointment.

• It was a decent length, 2 1/2 hours.

But, there wasn’t much substance to it. There were only three area bands and maybe a half dozen floats.

The rest of the parade consisted of antique cars, tractors, fire trucks and, my least favorite, people driving company cars to advertise their businesses. This last one wouldn’t have been a problem for me except they didn’t even make an effort to decorate.

It’s one thing if someone is driving a truck for Fritz’s Lawn Care and has it decorated in red,white and blue with a sign saying Happy Fourth of July. It has

a completely opposite effect if it’s just the truck.

It’s the same with the numerous John Deere tractors that were in the parade. If I wanted to see the newest models, I would visit the dealer.

I don’t need to see them paraded in front of me when we’re supposed to be celebrating our Independence. It’s too bad that local citizens and businesses no longer make an effort for a parade that has attracted people from miles away over the past several decades.

I have a lot of memories from my childhood regarding that parade and it saddens me that my daughter won’t have the same.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 591007183751131/k2311a0710/7.10.07