Informatics Computer Institute  » Education  »
1.5
Philippines
  • I paid about 4,500 pesos for 45 hours of class
  • After I decided to read up on my own, that was the only time the lessons started sinking in
  • I know for a fact that you don't need a degree in Education to be able to teach in Informatics

• by Honey

I took up a 5 week short course on HTML a few years ago when it was all the rage. I paid about 4,500 pesos for 45 hours of class. I’m not really a very technical person, and I doubted that I would learn HTML in such a short amount of time.

There were no books provided us, and we had to write everything down. For someone like me who doesn’t really have any background in web design, it was really hard to catch on to what the instructor was saying.

And believe me it was really hard

to understand what he was trying to say, because he spoke in broken English. After I decided to read up on my own, that was the only time the lessons started sinking in.

The instructor never really bothered to give us books or authors that we can read to learn more about the lessons. I have mixed feelings towards this institution, and I can’t really say that I’m not happy with them.

They have branches all over the country, most of which are located in shopping malls which is really great for me. The classrooms are well-equipped and ...

• air conditioned ofcourse.

The staff is friendly and they never really forget faces because it’s been 5 years and most of them still know me and greet me when I pass by. But there’s the matter of not learning enough from the teachers.

Most of them are well, unqualified to teach. I know for a fact that you don’t need a degree in Education to be able to teach in Informatics.

Some of the students even became instructors. And I really don’t know if that’s such a good idea since they barely came out of school and are

already teaching students.

Then there’s the matter of being too ‘by the book’. They have curriculums that they follow, and they don’t really go out and find something else besides what’s written in their manuals.

They should have just given us the manuals, and made us read it instead of listening to them hammer on about something that doesn’t make much sense to beginners. I never had homework either.

I know students will say that’s great, but for someone like me who wants to get her money’s worth, the least they can do is check if we’re actually doing our assignment.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 50907182590331/k2311a079/7.9.07