Scotch 3M Tear-By-Hand Tape  » Housewares  »
2.0
  • Perhaps it's just a little obsessive compulsive issue, who knows
  • But sometimes I think I have more binders on my office shelves than an office supply store has on theirs
  • It seemed like the perfect tape to fit my needs, so I thought I'd give it a try

• by Andi Bryant

I’ll confess; I have this terrible compulsion. I have this need to place everything paper into 3-ring binders. Perhaps it’s just a little obsessive compulsive issue, who knows.

Maybe it’s just a strong desire to achieve optimal organization. But sometimes I think I have more binders on my office shelves than an office supply store has on theirs.

Each of the binders is appropriately labeled, and to properly affix these labels to my binder collection, I depend on packing tape. It seems to work well as far as performance goes, and saves the binder from

eventual breakdown from constant grabbing and handling.

But somewhere along the line, I had managed to deplete my tape supply, so I ventured out for more. While shopping for my required taping material, I came across a package of Scotch 3M Tear-By-Hand tape.

There is no difference in the look or size of this transparent tape compared to a standard roll of packing tape, and it was the perfect width for my binders. It seemed like the perfect tape to fit my needs, so I thought I’d give it a try.

This particular roll didn’t come with ...

• a dispenser with a cutting edge like most packing tapes do (although a dispenser certainly would fit the cardboard diameter in which the tape was wrapped around), but since the package clearly stated that it was Tear-By-Hand, one would assume hand-to-tape contact was to be expected. After a few attempts at tearing the tape and merely stretching it where I wanted the tape to begin its cut, I had no alternative but to use a cutting implement (my teeth initially, and then a pair of scissors) to get the cuts going.

The transference of finger prints was noticeably

obvious, and seemed to compromise the stability of the tape’s glue. Within 30 minutes of applying the tape to my binder projects, the edges began to lift away.

Re-tacking the same pieces of tape didn’t work at all. Once the piece began to pull away, it had lost it’s sticking properties and could not be re-stuck.

Out of the five binders I had applied this product to, three of them lifted off significantly, and it became my opinion that this product doesn’t perform nearly as well as standard packing tape, of which I ultimately went back to purchase more.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 533006180330830/k2311a0630/6.30.07