Recipe for sweet & sour sauce  » Recipes  »
  • As this ingredient is a major component of the sauce, and is entirely responsible for the consistency, I advise playing with the recipe to suit taste

• by Aaron’s Girl
      I have searched every health food store I could find in 3 different states to find a sweet and sour sauce with no refined sugar, no preservatives, no high fructose corn syrup, etc. I sadly concluded there was no such sauce… until I found a recipe for one on the back of a frozen foods box.

I have made this sauce for quite a few people (including

two picky toddlers), and everyone loves it! The only thing I’ve had to adjust is the suggested amount of corn starch.

(The recipe calls for 1/4 tbs.

of corn starch, and I’ve liked it better with almost 1/4 cup.

) As this ingredient is a major component of the sauce, and is entirely responsible for the consistency, I advise playing with the recipe to suit taste.

Combine,

• heat with low heat on ovenrange and stir: 1/2 cup of cider vinegar 1/2 cup of honey 1/2 cup of pineapple juice* 2 tablespoons of tamari sauce dash of paprika 1/4 cup of water *(I’ve used Cherry Juicy Juice and it tastes wonderful.

Most likely any non-citrus all natural juice would work.

) When the sauce is coming close to a boil, pour a small amount into a bowl

of corn starch while stirring vigorously (Again, I’ve used close to 1/4 a cup of starch, but I’m still trying to figure the proper amount.

For less gel-like sauce, use less corn starch.

) Do NOT pour the corn starch into the sauce; it will clump terribly.

After the corn starch is completely stirred and there are no clumps, pour the mixture back into the pot of sauce while quickly stirring.

Continue to stir until the sauce thickens.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2005. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 49241117900230/k2311a1124/11.24.05