Spiderman 3  » Movies  »
  • Of course, there is always room for improvement (I will get to that later), but overall it was a thrilling experience
  • When I first heard that Sandman was in the script, I was very disappointed
  • In fact, his origin scene was perhaps my favourite section of the film, with its absolutely stunning Special Effects and emotional undertone
  • I can imagine that the Venom character, with his very, very brief time onscreen was a bit much, as well, with a lot of people I know having 'WTF' moments, asking themselves why the film makers want to involve alien life forms now, and yet don't explain a thing about why or how it came to earth, etc, etc, etc. To be honest, that wasn't the only confusing, unfinished, unexplained character or plot, either

• by Cherie Donovan
      Spiderman 3 is the third in a series of films based around our friendly neighbourhood web-swinger; part of a vastly growing movie franchise: the comic book adaptation, many examples of which are due for release this summer. As a comic book fan I often find that these films are like marmite. You either love them, or you hate them. This, I love. When the original Spiderman film was released I saw in it in the cinema with my parents (I was quite young at the time), both of whom came out begging for more.

In fact, my mother even went as far as to ask me about the next film’s plot, which of course I hadn�t a clue about. To be honest, I hated every moment when I first saw it. I was too big and too proud a geek. On later viewing I then discovered how much of a fool I had been, and I haven’t looked back since.

The second film was a huge improvement on the first, with more of the comedy that a Spiderman film needs to truly BE a Spiderman film, and awesome action that gave it more an edge. This third instalment, however, far surpasses both its predecessors in every way. Of course, there is always room for improvement (I will get to that later), but overall it was a thrilling experience. When I first heard that

Sandman was in the script, I was very disappointed.

As a villain I always found him to be dull, but I was truly caught off guard by the way he had been written onto film. In fact, his origin scene was perhaps my favourite section of the film, with its absolutely stunning Special Effects and emotional undertone. Definite kudos to Thomas Haden for his performance. The visual delights and surprises did not stop there, however, with groundbreaking action scenes comparable to Star Wars and The Matrix in their detail and height on the Awesometer.

A special mention goes to the Harry vs. Pete sky duel. Action aside, the plot was quite gripping as well, with not one but THREE baddies to enthral us, a developing love triangle involving Pete (Tobey Maguire), MJ (Kirsten Dunst), Harry(James Franco), and our new heroine Gwen (who, by the way, was played perfectly by Bryce Howard, but had far too little air time) and the script had much more of the tongue-in-cheek humour and dark themes which make Spiderman the hugely successful comic that it is today. There are some amusing, quite quaint (and very welcome) cameos from Stan ‘The Man’ Lee (of course) and Bruce Campbell (who has played a different part in each film in franchise) as well, which give it a little extra something for the ‘uber geeks’ in the audience, such as myself, as ...

• well as small hints at and appearances from other characters in the Spideyverse, the most obvious of which is Dr.

Curt Connors (Dylan Baker) who also made a brief appearance in the previous film and who fans hope will play a more central role in the next instalment. All of this is fine and dandy, but no film is perfect, least of all an adaptation of existing material. This is no exception. The plot, as I aforementioned, although enjoyable, seemed to have far too much going on for any one film.

For those that have not read the comics, I can imagine that the Harry/Goblin (not to mention Norman Osborn’s ‘ghost’) story was a little daunting, and the appearance of Gwen Stacy as somewhat of an invasion on their adoration for the MJ/Pete love story. I can imagine that the Venom character, with his very, very brief time onscreen was a bit much, as well, with a lot of people I know having ‘WTF’ moments, asking themselves why the film makers want to involve alien life forms now, and yet don’t explain a thing about why or how it came to earth, etc, etc, etc. To be honest, that wasn’t the only confusing, unfinished, unexplained character or plot, either. There were many gaps that needed to be filled, and my only hope is that there is a Spiderman 3.

1 DVD release. It would

seem that the writers for this film wanted to fit far too much into one flick, and were far too confused about what they wanted - a brilliant comic book adaptation that still pleased film-goers, or a not-so-brilliant film based on a comic book that can still please the readers as well as being a Popcorn Fest. Sure, try to please both the film and comic fans, but please, Mr Raimi, do it properly. Other ‘downers’ were the dreary, over the top conversations between Peter and his Aunt May, which made her seem like such a dry character (which she isn’t in the comic books) and really slowed the pace of an otherwise non-stop action fest and the fact that I felt more emotional attachment to and sympathy for J Jonah Jameson, the head of The Daily Bugle and Ursula, the skinny girl who’s father owns Pete’s residency (played to absolute perfection by big screen newcomer Mageina Tovah) than I did for the central characters.

Overall, a brilliant effort that is an action packed, roll-on-floor-laughing, heartfelt comic book adaptation that will give the rest of the Summer Flicks a run for their money, and puts both X-Men 3 and this summer’s smash hit Pirates 3 to shame. I am so, so pleased that they didn’t mess this one up like they did the X-Men finale, and I hope that they decide to make some more*. *FYI, most of the actors are signed up for at least two more films. Fingers crossed!

Spiderman 3

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111806174910830/k2311a0618/6.18.07