West Point Market Akron OH
0.5
1711 West Market Street, Akron, Ohio
  • I was greeted by a very rude woman I believe may have been the store manager
  • I had noticed some sausage on the sampling table and asked what it was, she rudely replied It's sausage (as IF I didn't already know that) I wanted to know so if it was good I could add it to my purchase

• by D Conroy
      I had (and I have to express “had”) been shopping at West Point Market located at 1711 West Market Street, Akron, Ohio for the past year and a half. I recently stopped going there because of an event that happened to me a few weeks before. Before the incident, I was treated like a normal customer.

The staff was always quite courteous and their selection was decent. One afternoon though, I had been working and my hair was quite messed up from driving with the windows open and I was wearing work clothes.

In a way I looked somewhat like someone from the area the store is located in which is somewhat low income. I stopped in the cheese department to purchase some because I was planning a family event and

thought the guests would like to try something different.

I stopped to sample some of the cheese they had displayed, but had to use the restroom. I then departed for the restrooms and then afterward went back to purchase the cheese I had planned on buying.

I was greeted by a very rude woman I believe may have been the store manager. She asked if she could help me.

I had noticed some sausage on the sampling table and asked what it was, she rudely replied “It’s sausage” (as IF I didn’t already know that) I wanted to know so if it was good I could add it to my purchase. Her unprovoked rude response caused me to drop my sampling toothpick to fall into the samples (VERY embarrasing to start ...

• with) But then she added to my embarrassment by saying loudly with other customers present “You can’t thow that there,, I’ll have to ask you to leave!” I was so shocked! I picked up my initial planned purchase and headed to the cashier but was so upset over the rudeness, I left my item at the checkout in tears.

I couldn’t figure out why I was treated as such, so I called to talk to the manager. I strongly believe it was the rude woman and she claimed “excessive sampling” was why I was kicked out.

My assessment of the siuation? She saw I wasn’t dressed in the attire as she felt fit, so she assumed I was one of the street people or local residents in the region, thus treated

me like I was trash. Although I come from a well off family and make probably more money in a day than she makes in a week, she assessed me as a lower person because of how I appeared at the moment.

My opinion, I assess people by deeds. The “never judge a book by it’s cover” does apply in life.

This store lost my business along with the business of others because of this incident. I will NOT patronize ANY place that will show bias based on looks or income.

Heinens located in many places in NE Ohio, carries a lot of the same items as West Point at much better prices. Plus, I haven’t seen any profiling yet on their part.

My rating is one because they don’t have a minus -10 rating on here yet!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 241206173030330/k2311a0612/6.12.07