Pirates of the Caribbean 3
1.0
  • However, as the plot 'develops', or rather attempts to, it becomes quite clear that the Producers spent all of their money on Special Effects and had nothing left for employing a decent Script Writer
  • For a pirate film, there is a distinct lack of sword fights, the sex appeal of all the lead characters seems to have been completely mislaid and unused, the comedy has been distinctly 'dumbed down' to predictable (yet admittedly still appealing) jokes - mostly involving our Jack Sparrow who has apparently gone mad from isolation which just gets very old very quickly - and the sea battles simply aren't large enough for my taste - 'wow

• by Cherie Donovan
      Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End is what we have all been waiting for; the second of two films in a vastly growing franchise that we have all grown to love Or not. The original film was fantastic. It’s sequel, Dead Man�s Chest had potential but seemed, quite understandably, unfinished.

This third instalment was simply a letdown. The film begins rather well, showing us what we have missed in the time that has passed since our last visit.

However, as the plot ‘develops’, or rather attempts to, it becomes quite clear that the Producers spent all of their money on Special Effects and had nothing left for

employing a decent Script Writer. Don’t get me wrong, I am as big a fan of sea battles and breathtaking scenery as the next Pirates fan, but my mind needs something to consume as well.

The plots that are written in or ‘finished’ in this last film are all fine and dandy, even intriguing at times, but they truly fall short of what the original film had to offer. For a pirate film, there is a distinct lack of sword fights, the sex appeal of all the lead characters seems to have been completely mislaid and unused, the comedy has been distinctly ‘dumbed down’ to predictable (yet admittedly still ...

• appealing) jokes - mostly involving our Jack Sparrow who has apparently gone mad from isolation which just gets very old very quickly - and the sea battles simply aren’t large enough for my taste - ‘wow! Two ships.

Throwing cannons at one another. I am overwhelmed!’, considering the shear numbers - i.

e. hundreds - on offer in the finale.

To be fair, though, the film does have its good points. Admittedly, the highlight was when it finished and I could go home to watch some Buffy, but, that aside, I did quite enjoy the scenery - the shear scope of which far surpassed my expectations, the ‘pirate kings’ scenes

were amusing and truly ‘pirately’ - which is what the rest of the film lacks - although far too short and the Special Effects were excellent, if a little much.

This is, to be honest, just another way of making money. They had a popular film and they decided to make more, which is fair enough; it has worked in the past, but only rarely.

That is all this is, though. There is no real essence to either sequels, with paper-thin characters, too many plots to juggle (none of which were truly finished anyway), and action scenes and scenery that give us plenty to marvel at but have no real purpose.

This is a popcorn fest at best.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 111206172930330/k2311a0612/6.12.07