Clairol L’Image Hair Dye  » Cosmetics  »
  • As such, I have MANY years of hair coloring experience under my belt
  • Not only am I pleased with the color result (a beautiful copper shade), but I am also impressed with the condition of my hair
  • If you have very long or very thick hair, you should probably consider buying two kits

• by Northern Woman

My hair has been slowly turning white since I was 17. I am now 32. As such, I have MANY years of hair coloring experience under my belt! I tried it all, and I dyed it all…and I know what works and what doesn’t.

Clairol L’Image works. It works very, very well on my white/grey hairs.

Not only am I pleased with the color result (a beautiful copper shade), but I am also impressed with the condition of my hair. Unlike its sister

product, Nice n’ Easy, I find L’Image much less harsh on my hair.

Like most hair kits, you are supplied with a nice after color conditioner and colorist gloves. I liked that this product only had the color and the developing lotion to mix.

I find that some of the products these days are including more products to mix, and this usually results in more opportunites for me to make a mess!

The instructions provided with the kit are good and the L’Image website also contains a ...

• lot of information. This is especially useful if you do not have much experience coloring your hair or if you are nervous about trying a new shade.

I have medium-long hair and I was relieved that I had enough dye to go through my hair. If you have very long or very thick hair, you should probably consider buying two kits.

The smell of the product was tolerable and didn’t make my eyes water at all (some dyes smell pretty BAD!!!). The mixed product isn’t

too runny and doesn’t make a lot of mess - which in my case is a good thing because I dye my hair red and I don’t want my bathroom looking like a murder scene set from CSI.

Another thing I really liked was how easily the product washed away during the rinse process. The conditioner is very nice, but they do not provide very much (especially compared to L’Oreal).

I guess that is my only complaint. Nevertheless, my actual hair color is exactly what I wanted, and I am very happy with it!

Joanne says :

Colour 875. I bought two boxes the other day and this is not the same 875 as I have used for the past 5 years. Could L`Image have packaged this incorrectly or labeled the tubes wrong? I checked the label on the tube and it matched the outside of the box but it certainly wasn`t my usual colour. I had to throw them both out and am now cautious about buying any more.

Galega says :

There is no way that Clairol has packaged that incorrectly and labelled them wrong. The entire packaging process is automated with zero possibility of such a drastic error. They have also not change the ingredients. The product remained the same, as it used to be. You should check whether you had bought a duplicate product or not. It is also possible that the product in your hand was past its best before date and has contaminated.

mandy says :

hi i dyed my hair with this product and i wanted it a darkish brown i had light brown but it turned my hair black jet black i want to know how to fade it or strip it it went way too dark please help me asap

Northern Woman replies :

Hi Mandy, This is a tough question and a lot of the answer depends on your hair type. My hair tends to dye darker than the colour indicated on the package, but it also fades very quickly I`ve learned my lesson and tend to buy shades a couple of tones lighter than the desired colour. In the past, I am washed my hair repeatedly with baby shampoo and soaked it in hot water to fade the colour. Sometimes it works, but most times it does not. Many hair dye boxes include a toll-free number. You can call them and see what they recommend. If it is a real disaster, you can also go to a local salon and ask to someone who specializes in colouring. Good luck HOLD FAST Northern Woman

Galega says :

This is an issue with your hair. Yes, depending on your hair, you may need to use a little bit lighter shade than what you want. Experiences teach us a lot. And, in this case, you should also be cautious on the basis of current experience. For the time being, use shampoo regularly and hope that the color fades away quickly. Don’t overdo it and avoid using another dye instantly. If you can not go away with the current shade, then consult a professional hair care expert to safely make it darkish brown.

lynn young says :

I usedClairol L`Image 875 dark brown and it turned my hair jet black and look terrible. How can I correct it, its a real mess and I have had to cancel a party I was to be hosting tonight. Please answer asap.

KJM says :

re : As such, I have MANY years of hair coloring experience under my belt
    Personally, I really like L’Image 875(dark brown) because it dyes quite dark in a shorter period of time than stated on the pkg, i.e., it dyes much darker and if you are not careful you will end up with black rather than dark brown. However, I find this the most long lasting product on the market for fully covering my greys and preventing my hair from turning brassy over time and I really like how shiny and healthy my hair looks with it. I have a lot of red undertones in my natural med-dark brown hair (I have very dark brows). I swim a lot and the chlorine salt water tends to fade my colour and turn it orangey, but not with L’Image. I can get almost 3 months out of 1 pkg. with no fading…I only have to worry about regrowth (when grey appears at temples becomes noticeable throughout my hair again) as I don’t seem to have to do roots between colourings yet with this product (probably because it’s the only product I have found that gets my hair close to its natural colour). Even though it’s discontinued, I keep my eye out for it and have still found it at discount stores, small pharmacies or grocery stores that don’t have high turnover for this type of product. When I do, I buy what they have.

sharon says :

Has clairol discontinued making L`Image hair dye? It is no longer stocked in any of the stores that I used to purchase it from.

John says :

Yes, Clairol L Image Hair Dye was discontinued by Clairol.

Galega says :

It was discontinued for a short duration. Now, it is again in the market. You can order it online on Amazon or ask your cosmetic retailers.

JOCELYN says :

IS L`MAGE DICONTINUING ANY COLORS?? I USE DARKEST MAUGHONY BROWN.

Toni says :

I just found at the shoppers drug mart they still carry the l’image and I just bought the dark mahogony brown but after reading the reviews am very scared to use this Shows it will turn out black and I definitely do not want to make that mistake again cause it’s impossible to get black back to normal. Check the Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada. I am in Hamilton Ontario

Galega says :

There is still confusion that Clairol has discontinued its hair dye range. However, that is not true. There was just a short hiatus when these products were not available in the market. Now, they are available in full throttle. You can easily find Maughony brown color.

Annette Khoudian says :

Hi there, I live in the Chicago area and I am concerned that I cannot find the L`image hair brand in stock in any stores. I used to buy it in Canada but can no longer find it here. Has it been dicontinued. If not can you please let me know where I can find it and which stores I should be going to. Thank you for your reply

Galega says :

L Image Hair Dye has now been discontinued by Clairol. You are unlikely to find it anymore. You should rather look for a suitable alternative.

KJ says :

Try well.ca website. They carry my shade of L’Image.

Good luck

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 31606170260930/k2311a066/6.6.07