Philippine Eagle Center
Philippines
  • I was a little disappointed that we could not see the chicks, even through a viewing glass

• by Honey
      The Philippine’s National Bird is the Philippine Eagle, which is already on the endangered species list. There only about 1,000 eagles left in the wild and the government of Davao is taking extreme measures to conserve this magnificent bird. The Philippine Eagle Center used to be primarily a breeding and conservation facility, but it has opened its doors to the viewing public for educational purposes.

I remember in 2005 when the country was shocked to hear the news of Kabayan’s death. Kabayan was the first captive

bred eagle that was released to the wild for research purposes.

Since then, there have been more and more chicks hatching and over 16 eagles have been bred in this breeding facility. I am proud to be one of the many people who have learned so much from visiting the facility.

The first time I went for a visit was during college, when my professor in Biology encouraged us to join him in an educational trip. We were not able to see the birds in isolation,

• especially the hatchlings.

But I was able to watch the mini bird show, where the eagles and their trainers captivated us. I knew that eagles could be tamed, and these Philippine Eagles proved that.

The eagles would fly up in the sky and return to their trainers, sometimes with small mammals in their beaks, sometimes insects. Just seeing these birds in flight made me teary eyed since I knew that they could easily be harmed by pouchers.

The facility is big, but only few activities are

held there, most consist of just viewing the birds through their huge cages. We were not allowed to touch the eagles, but we were able to view the natural breeding pairs in a makeshift habitat.

I was a little disappointed that we could not see the chicks, even through a viewing glass. But I met so many wonderful people, who volunteer their time and effort to help preserve nature�s wonders.

I hope to visit the center last this year, to finish my thesis on endangered species and breeding patterns.

alex says :

What is the philippine eagles enemy and how does it protect it self?

Jules Li says :

Alex, it does not have any traditional enemies per say. However, there are a few reasons why it’s close to extinction. Poaching, trade and lost of habitat are a few of those reasons.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2007. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 29406169430530/k2311a064/6.4.07