Detroit Film Theatre,Detroit Michigan  » Theatre  »
John R. Rd., Detroit, Michigan
  • When I go to the Detroit Film Theatre, I not only experience the movie, I experience the classic theater itself

• by Stargazer
      The Detroit Film Theatre is an antique theater with really lush red velvet seats and gilded accents. The theater’s interior has a really rich and warm atmosphere, with classic filigrees on the ceiling, and the elaborate walls that you do not see with today’s new theaters. Just being there makes me smile.

The Detroit Film Theatre is a great place to see independent films. It’s located in the city’s up-town cultural and artistic center, so you get a lot of art

and experimental films there.

When I go to the Detroit Film Theatre, I not only experience the movie, I experience the classic theater itself. It’s such a big part of the local art community, and it’s so great that I can go there and see a film unlike the typical mainstream movies.

It feels much different because there’s so much history there, and of course I can see all the obscure art films that I can’t find anywhere else. Another great ...

• thing about the theater is that I pay less than I do if you went to one of the big theaters, I spend less of my time in line, and I walk away with a more rewarding experience.

You get more for your hard-earned money. The Detroit Film Theater is the place to see movies that you just wouldn’t see anywhere else.

They play obscure classics, new documentaries, and much more. For example, the theater releases a great booklet with their

film schedule, stills and descriptions of each movie.

This month there is a special event called “Samurai Madness”, a collection of back-to-back old black and white Samurai films. Where else in Detroit can you see something like that?

The Theater is a part of the Detroit Institute of the Arts, and the formal entrance is located on John R.

, behind the building. It’s fun combo if you have the time.

You can check out some famous artwork, see a movie, and make a day of it.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2005. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 32201116910230/k2311a1120/11.20.05