The Book Thief, a novel by Markus Zusak  » Books  »
  • Now I can't even remember how long ago I read a book as emotionally heavy as this one
  • That's all there is to this book - an ordinary girl, a neighborhood boy, foster parents, and Death as the narrator
  • I thought I would read into the text and stop noticing the author's manner get used to it, but - the further away, the worse
  • Likewise, I can not say that the book impressed me, but overall it was interesting to read, I did not get bored
  • With this, The Book Thief definitely did

• by GEORGE

Now I can’t even remember how long ago I read a book as emotionally heavy as this one. Children in the War, children during the war, children who lost their parents, starving children - all this is significantly better to live through and scroll through in your head.

If a book is about World War II, persecuted Jews, and a little person in a whirlwind of chaos and death, that is half the battle. Plus, a little girl who loves books. Plus, the unusual presentation of the material. Plus, of course, the talent

of the author. There you have it, a bestseller.

I do not have enough of it. The plot is not there. There is a set of vivid characters, yes. What else but in a difficult time of war, death and destruction can you highlight the ordinary human characters, make them stand out? World War II is perfect for this purpose.

Well, who would be interested in a girl who loses books from a house where they leave her window open, living in peacetime? Even if she was in foster care. I wouldn’t say she stole many books. I can’t even remember one - she found one, took one out of the fire, gave one to her as a gift, and let her take the rest.

Where is this very Book Thief? If not the bomb shelter, where would she reveal her reading talents? Yes, not the sheltered Jew in the basement who drew her a couple of books? That’s all there is to this book - an ordinary girl, a neighborhood boy, foster parents, and Death as the narrator.

This character turned out to be more or less original and ...

• The Book Thief, a novel by Markus Zusak
      sympathetic. After all, so much work has been thrust upon him in these awful years, and yet he too has a heart, albeit some circular one. An unloved occupation and a boss named war, who makes him work to the bone. What else can he amuse himself with but such fragments of human destinies? In the end, he only sees them when he takes someone close to him.

There was a time when the book began to push me away from itself with its construction of the text. All these digressions, asterisks, italics,

and others - how it cut my eyes, irritated me to the point of incredible. I thought I would read into the text and stop noticing the author’s manner get used to it, but - the further away, the worse.

I couldn’t.Likewise, I can not say that the book impressed me, but overall it was interesting to read, I did not get bored.

Well, another book about the war, there will never be too many of them, because the main thing is to bring all these horrors to future generations. With this, “The Book Thief” definitely did.

LOGAN says :

Perhaps I will refrain from reading this book, the plot is too hard, judging by your feedback.

GEORGE adds :

I think its not very hard.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2021. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1731051666040331/k2311a0531/5.31.21