Bubba Hotep movie  » Movies  »
  • This is definitely one of my favorite movies
  • The humor of these characters is the real beauty of the movie, and the battle against the zombie (the titular Bubba Hotep, so dubbed by Elvis), is almost immaterial, basically giving us a plot (weak as it is) for which to set the stage for these two entertaining and interesting characters
  • But its unique elements makes it stand out against the normal zombie film, and it is one that I highly recommend for any fan of horror or comedy

• by Walter Stevens
      This is definitely one of my favorite movies. Although I’ve seen my share of horror movies in my lifetime, I am not exactly a big fan of the genre. That said, Bubba Hotep is a great movie, and one that any horror or comedy fan should see.

The charm of the movie is its insane premise. Set in a retirement home in Texas, we are introduced to our two

main characters.

The first is an aging Elvis, who has been living in the retirement home since he fell off the stage while performing his Elvis impersonation act. (In order to get out of the spotlight, Elvis switched places with an Elvis impersonator a couple of years before his death, so the Elvis that died isn’t the real Elvis).

Elvis is played brilliantly by Bruce Campbell, of Evil Dead fame. The perfect choice, while he doesn’t do the greatest Elvis, no one else could have done this movie justice.

The other hero of the piece is none other than John F. Kennedy.

Although he doesn’t look exactly like you would expect. He’s been dyed black (to protect him from his many enemies such as Lyndon Johnson), and his brain has been replaced with a bag of sand (his ...

• Bubba Hotep movie
      brain was damaged after he was shot).

Fortunately he receives signals from the White House, on occasion. The humor of these characters is the real beauty of the movie, and the battle against the zombie (the titular Bubba Hotep, so dubbed by Elvis), is almost immaterial, basically giving us a plot (weak as it is) for which to set the stage for these two entertaining and interesting characters.

Not that

it is a bad plot, but to me it is not the primary purpose of the movie. All in all, the zombie is defeated, Elvis saves the day, and it is a good, fulfilling horror movie.

But its unique elements makes it stand out against the normal zombie film, and it is one that I highly recommend for any fan of horror or comedy. A must rent (or own on DVD), go out and see Bubba Hotep today.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in November, 2005. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 11191116660130/k2311a1119/11.19.05