Paulo Coelho, writer  » People  »
  • I can no longer tolerate the widespread exaltation of this writer
  • Coelho was a frequent visitor of mental hospitals since childhood, where he underwent three long and, unfortunately, unsuccessful courses of treatment with life-giving electricity
  • After which, to his even greater regret, he was discharged from these institutions
  • Coelho's books, which are little more than plagiarism and pop, consist of Spirituality, Deep Meaning, Self-Knowledge, and other hackneyed cliches and have no artistic value
  • This is probably the only decision of the Iranian authorities that I completely agree with

• by GEORGE

I can no longer tolerate the widespread exaltation of this writer! And now I want to express my opinion about the work of this mediocrity.

Paulo Coelho is a talentless Brazilian writer with an inflated sense of grandeur, popular among stupid people.

Coelho was a frequent visitor of mental hospitals since childhood, where he underwent three long and, unfortunately, unsuccessful courses of treatment with life-giving electricity.

After which, to his even greater regret, he was discharged from these institutions. Sometime later Coelho joined the student theater movement, which for all the specificity of the Brazilian student theater movement and cheap drugs ended up in the same mental hospital.

Then he became a Satanist anarchist and wrote

lyrics for pop singers, was taken into custody during 1974, but was rightly declared insane and released. Over time, Paulo Coelho converted to Christianity, legitimately choosing heretical Catholicism. He was also noted for his sympathies for the ideas of Carl Jung and Carlos Castaneda. I daresay these authors were recommended to him in an insane asylum.

Coelho means “rabbit” in Portuguese. Oddly enough, it’s not a pseudonym, but it probably symbolizes something. All his “clever thoughts” the writer got from the books of really great writers of the level of Saint-Exupery, Borges, Cortazar, Chekhov, Sun Tzu.

Coelho’s books, which are little more than plagiarism and pop, consist of Spirituality, Deep Meaning, Self-Knowledge, and other hackneyed cliches and have no artistic value. By their love of Coelho, it is easy to identify fools in need of immediate isolation.

The irritation that Coelho arouses in any literary sophisticated reader is explained first by his extraordinary seriousness, by his goose-stepping importance - the boredom of death, not a single joke, not a single smile, not a single witticism in the whole novel.

I do not mean giggles and giggles, witticisms in literature can be anything - phonetic, philosophical, version idioms, but like this, without even a shadow of juggling, without the slightest artistry, without a hint of mind games, so real literature does not happen.

Meanwhile, it is this seriousness that makes Coelho such ...

• Paulo Coelho, writer
      a popular writer. Cheap, peddled mysticism simply has to maintain a perpetually stern expression of arcane knowledge on its face, or no one will buy it.

As a rule, the author’s texts are a transcript of a turbulent stream of not quite clear consciousness. Coelho’s “philosophy,” so beloved by his admirers, is at best a repetition of truths known centuries before Coelho, an empty resonance of wisdom or pretentiously presented platitudes.

There is much controversy surrounding the writer’s name, many of which descend into personalities. As a rule, it is either people who grew up on Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and Chekhov, who know what is what in writing, or those who have heard that a negative opinion

of Coelho is a sign of literary awareness. Paolo’s defenders are the notorious 95% of the population, especially schoolchildren and office plankton.

But the fact remains that in the homeland of Paulo Coelho, in Brazil, he is considered a low-brow, untalented, commercial, beach writer. And the Brazilians look at you like you’re an idiot if you have Coelho’s book in your hands. In Iran, the books of the great inspired of stupid people were banned altogether. This is probably the only decision of the Iranian authorities that I completely agree with:)

Instead of buying Paulo Coelho’s books, read those from whom he borrowed his ideas: Borges, Chekhov, Sun Tzu. I recommend starting with Chekhov!

LOGAN says :

Paulo Coelho is a great writer, IMHO.

DiAnna O Garro says :

Yes he is a great writer and his books speaks to a lot of reader. Not all authors come from the same background and their experiences in their life help them to write what is meaningful to them. His books have helped many, just like other great writes of the past before him.

GEORGE replies :

May I ask what exactly the work of this author has helped you?

DiAnna O Garro says :

re : This is probably the only decision of the Iranian authorities that I completely agree with
Coelho is an amazing writer and should be up lifted. I can personally state that his book "The Alchemist" literally changed my life and my outlook on life. I came from a background of severe abused, including multiple sexual abused from the age of five. The first time I read his book as an adult, I was at a cross road in my life where I was contemplating ending it all. The way it is written kept my interest from beginning to end as if it was basically written just for me. The message was very clear. His other books are also great. I understand not every author or the books they write are for everyone, but they should all be given a chance. His novels resignate with a lot of people who were in my position of loss, grieve, unhappiness, and hopelessness. They show that no matter where you are in life, having faith in yourself, the universe, your higher power and believing that God has given us all the power to create our own destiny. Mr. Coelho and his novels are needed totouch the heart and speak to the minds of people who needs them. Just like every author out there whose novel may not be for everyone.

GEORGE replies :

I am very glad that this book helped you. However, my review was about something else. I mentioned the secondary nature of this author and no more :)

DiAnna O Garro says :

Every books, articles, and other papers will have information from something we heard or learned in the past. There are many books from years ago that people today have read and then write about almost the same thing except they add their spin to it. Take for example, there are so many people who love Dave Ramsey for his financial literacy books and course, and also Robert Kiyosaki who wrote Rich Dad Poor Dad. Now ask yourself are these book the original thoughts on finance, wealth building etc. No, they are not. They learned from reading older authors like Napoleon Hill who wrote "Think and Grow Rich" which was first published in 1937. And the best of them all George Colston "The Riches Man in Babylon" book which was first published in 1926. So we cannot just be angry at one foreign author who wrote books that so many people love, and say he plagiarize it, when it more like took inspiration from other past writings just like all authors today.

GEORGE replies :

Do you think Napoleon Hill’s book is worthy of basing economic knowledge on its basis? Excuse me, have you tried reading something more scientific? For example, textbooks on economics? It s even embarrassing for me to continue the conversation in this way. There we will get to quoting Uncle Scrooge from Duck Tales :)

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2021. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 5230051665950831/k2311a0530/5.30.21