Aura Hotel, Wellington, NZ
95 Manners St, Wellington, NZ 6011
  • It is, to some extent, the best place to stay in Wellington, as the room rate is affordable, and the room itself is spacious with a television set, a fridge, and a water kettle
  • To avoid this extra payment you need to pay directly to the management by cash
  • It is, therefore, no wonder rather difficult to find both the reception and the guest rooms
  • Unfortunately these blocks are not arranged sequentially
  • I think the management should use brighter lamps here

by Pusaka

Actually I had booked another hotel near Wellington Railway Station to ease me when I need to take a bus to another city. But then I changed my mind, a place in the city centre would ease me to shop, get food, and walk around. Aura Hotel seemed a good choice as it is located just in the corner between Manners St and Cuba St. My guess is right. It is, to some extent, the best place to stay in Wellington, as the room rate is affordable, and the room itself is spacious with a television set, a fridge, and a water kettle. It also has a private shower. It costed me 120 NZ dollars (72 US dollars) per night without breakfast. But since I booked it through Agoda using ‘pay later’ facility, then my credit card was charge 10 percent more. To avoid this extra payment you need to pay directly to the management by cash.

This hotel is accommodated within a five-storeyed department store, Rebel Sport. It is, therefore, no wonder rather difficult to find both the reception and the guest rooms. The reception office occupies a small room next to a money changer on Manners St side, while the guest rooms occupy parts of level 2. You need to walk along an alley between the stores, to find an elevator to level 2, and there you have to find out your block. Unfortunately these blocks are not arranged sequentially. Mine was block A, located almost at the end of the corridor. The room has no window, making me feel like a rat trapped inside a closed cage. The room itself is sufficiently clean. But I could not set the air conditioning system which blew too cold for me. An electronic heater provided in the room, did not work.

But I love this place because it is easily reached by public transport from Wellington airport. The Airport Flyer (which costs 12 NZ dollars) stops just a few meters from the main entrance of the department store. In my case, I took a shared ride airport shuttle van (10 NZ dollars), and they let me alight in Victoria St at Manners St which is just 5 minutes on foot to the hotel. If you do not bring much or large luggage, then you can take bus route 2 from the airport and alight at the same stop as the Airport Flyer does (for 5 NZ dollars). Some tourist spots such as Te Papa Museum, Old Bank Shopping Arcade, and Cuba St, are also within walking distance.

• Aura Hotel, Wellington, NZ
  • The building accommodating various stores, offices, and Aura Hotel. Nice neighbourhood. In the evening the main entrance is locked, and you need to use your magnetic key to open it.

• Aura Hotel, Wellington, NZ
  • Alley between stores on ground level heading to the elevator. In the evening the elevator is locked, and you need to tap your magnetic key on and press the lift button to operate it. To the right side (opposite Citizens Advice Bureau) there is a narrow alley heading to the reception office.

• Aura Hotel, Wellington, NZ
  • Long corridor to the blocks on level 2. In the evening it is rather dark. I think the management should use brighter lamps here.

• Aura Hotel, Wellington, NZ
  • A guest room in Block A. Two large pipes stretch out on the ceiling. No idea about what flow in them. They should construct a ‘drop ceiling’ to cover this unpleasant sight.

• Aura Hotel, Wellington, NZ
  • Shared dining room in Block A. This is a good idea where you can prepare your own meal. Tableware is provided and you need to clean them up after use.

Before you book this hotel, you have to ensure the payment method to avoid extra charge. I am not sure, but you can try to request a normal guest room with windows, unless you do not mind to stay in a tightly closed room. Apart from these, then everything else is perfect.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2020. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 384061665190130/k2311a064/6.4.20