Mama - My Chemical Romance
  • My favorite band of all was Green Day, and they still are, but I really liked MCR too
  • It's about the letters soldiers send to their loved ones, to the horrible injuries and amputations they suffer after a battle, the gruesome deaths they suffer
  • I stopped doing everything else, I just listened to try to understand it, and I don't think I ever heard a more powerful song about war
  • I highly suggest to go listening to this song straight away

• by Ilaria Lubrano

My Chemical Romance, The Black Parade. An album that is part of many people’s adolescence, at least when it comes to my generation (I’m 26). They were pretty popular between goths/emos/punks at the time, which after all isn’t all that long ago, and “The Black Parade” was the album they had around those days. Obviously, I was one of those people. My favorite band of all was Green Day, and they still are, but I really liked MCR too. Though, I still kind of abandoned them in time while growing up, as I guess happens to many people. I’m not saying I stopped liking them. I just stopped following them. Now, on Spotify, I downloaded them again, and I obviously started from an album I used to

love, which is The Black Parade. I just put those songs in my “Random” playlist. I have everything in there. Them, AC/DC, Robbie Williams, Pink, it truly is very random, so I don’t stuble in their songs very often.

I was on that playlist a few days ago and I was listening to music while doing other things when “Mama” happened. I already knew the song, obviously. Part of my teen years was in that album. Though I heard it in another way. I don’t know if I didn’t understand it because my English back then was way worse than it is today, or if I just wasn’t mature enough to get it, but I feel like despite having known the lyrics for years, I truly listened to

it just now. I always believed the song was just an emo depressed kid using dark metaphors to explain his sufferings and suicide to his mother, while also trying to tell her that he loves her anyway. I was wrong. I was dead wrong.

It’s about war. It’s about soldiers talking to Mother America, the one sending them on the battleground. It’s about the letters soldiers send to their loved ones, to the horrible injuries and amputations they suffer after a battle, the gruesome deaths they suffer. And how all America does is cry for them from afar while still sending more to death, while doing nothing for them but calling them heroes from a safe place, and denying them any honor if the fail their destructive missions.

• Mama - My Chemical Romance
      It talks about the severe PTSD a soldier would suffer of, the guilt due to the “s*** that I’ve done with this f*** of a gun”, about the feeling of damnation and deserving hell for that, despite being cried for from their loving Mother. It talks about suffering for the death of their brothers in arms without getting to honor them properly, because the survived ones have to carry on. Keep moving, keep shooting, move on to the next mission.

It hit me differently, I got to say. I’ve known this song for years, and yet for the first time ever I had goosebumps while listening to it. I stopped doing everything else, I just listened to try to understand it, and I don’t think I ever heard

a more powerful song about war. Green Day do a lot of social/political songs, but everything is seen from the civilian point of view, anyway. With Mama we go to war ourselves. It took me so long to understand this song, but now I kinda want to cry when I hear it, because I feel it. I feel the pain of the desperate soldier that known this might be his last day because he has to fight a war that doesn’t belong to him, but to his “Mama”.

I highly suggest to go listening to this song straight away. Don’t do anything else, just listen to it, and let it sink in. If you actually support wars, I’m confident this song will make you change your mind.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2019. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1426101665071031/k2311a1026/10.26.19