Xiaomi MI A1 mobile phone
  • This was classed as a flagship phone but I was never 100% happy with it considering how much is cost
  • So I thought I would look at something a little cheaper, something with stock Android, something usable
  • I knew they were a Chinese based firm and that their products were good quality for the low price
  • I wanted an experience that was as close to stock Android as possible
  • I would recommend this phone to anyone who isn't wanting to spend a lot but still wants a usable modern smartphone experience

• by Leanne Pattinson

I first purchased this phone a few months back to replace my Galaxy S7. This was classed as a flagship phone but I was never 100% happy with it considering how much is cost. So I thought I would look at something a little cheaper, something with stock Android, something usable.

I had heard of this company before. I own a fitness band from them. I knew they were a Chinese based firm and that their products were good quality for the low price. I looked into the Mi Note series but knew it wasn’t for me due to the MUI OS. I wanted an experience that was as close to stock
      Android as possible.

Now this phone runs Android One, which is controlled by Google so it gets regular updates. And it really does. These updates have arrived monthly for me and always provide fixes for any problems that the device might have. Talking of problems, there hasn’t actually been that many with this device. It runs pretty well, it’s smooth and the battery life is great. I can get up to 8 hrs screen on time with it.

The screen isn’t the best in the world but it is perfectly adequate. I always keep mine in a case and it hasn’t marked yet. The touch seems pretty responsive too. The sound from the headphone jack is a plus point as I heard it sports a good amplifier. It is loud and punchy with an audible hiss that is only heard with lower quality headphones.

Even though the processor isn’t the most powerful, it is modern so is rather efficient. It still manages to run most of the apps I have thrown at it and when scrolling through menus and websites, the experience is smooth and stutter free. I am actually impressed that it seems smoother than the S7 in that regard. It also comes with a nice large amount of storage: 64GB with micro SD support.

You would think that the phone would be plastic like due to ...

• Xiaomi MI A1 mobile phone
      the brand but it isn’t. It actually has an aluminium back. I chose the rose gold version which looks like an iPhone, with the back facing fingerprint sensor also. Speaking of the fingerprint sensor, it works well. It’s fast to open apps with it and it opens the lock screen instantly.

You may think it sounds like the perfect phone. Well none are but I can overlook the shortcomings due to the very low price this phone sells for now. Things that annoy me include the black bezel around the screen which is also seen on iPhones (my phone is white), the very weak vibration sound and the lack of fast or wireless charging. NFC would be nice although I’m not a big user of it. Also the camera is mediocre at best. Look back 3 or 4 years and that is the quality of this camera. Fine in good light outside, but noisy and washed out indoor in a low light situation. But I’m not going to complain a lot. It’s not a flagship phone but a midrange and that is what the camera is like.

I would recommend this phone to anyone who isn’t wanting to spend a lot but still wants a usable modern smartphone experience. Just don’t buy it for the camera alone. Buy it with its general usability and stock non-bloated Android in mind.

Johana Mutegi says :

re : I would recommend this phone to anyone who isn’t wanting to spend a lot but still wants a usable modern smartphone experience
I love this phone , I have used this phone for two years now

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2018. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3717101664390331/k2311a1017/10.17.18