Star Trek Novel: I.K.S Gorkon - A Good Day to Die by Keith DeCandido  » Books  »
  • By which I mean, the Klingons are Klingons and the book doesn't have to try and insulate us from what it seems that means
  • Klingons kill unarmed people, Klingons use politics and bribes, Klingons use murder etc. What this book tries to do is show us the Klingon understanding of honour
  • This is a downside to me as it strains my suspension of disbelief that so many characters can have an interaction with the USS Enterprise in common and yet never mention it once
  • The Klingons find an honourable opponent and so decide to settle the conquest of the planet in a more interesting way
  • It's still very entertaining however so I will still recommend to fans of the franchise

• by Markerlight

Until the Star Trek Series Deep Space Nine, fans of the Star Trek Universe didn’t get much of an inside look at the Klingon Empire. The Next Generation series scratched the surface sure but no more than that.

What we have here is an author attempt to provide us with a little insight into the Klingons. That’s been done before, but, this novel has a card up its sleeve. It does it without using the lens of the Federation. It’s all Klingon, and that’s fantastic.

We are introduced to the crew of the I.K.S Gorkon. One of the Empires newest and biggest ships launched just after the conclusion of

DS9 and the Dominion War. The Empire, needing to rebuild itself needs new resources and the Gorkon is dispatched to a previously unexplored sector to claim new worlds for the Empire. By force, preferably. They are Klingons of course.

Since we don’t have any Federation characters around the morality of the characters of the book are not judged externally. By which I mean, the Klingons are Klingons and the book doesn’t have to try and insulate us from what it seems that means. The Klingon Idea of honour is strange to humans. In the TV series, we are told Klingons are an honourable people but we rarely see it. Klingons kill unarmed people, Klingons use politics and bribes, Klingons use murder etc. What this book tries to do is show us the Klingon understanding of honour. When you have read this, most of what you see the Klingons do in the TV shows will make a lot more sense.

Many of the characters have been lifted completely from the shows. Most of them have had one or two episode appearance in the Next Generation or DS9 to the point where I’d struggle to name any Klingon original characters. This is a downside to me as it strains my suspension of disbelief that so many ...

• Star Trek Novel: I.K.S Gorkon - A Good Day to Die by Keith DeCandido
      characters can have an interaction with the USS Enterprise in common and yet never mention it once.

The story itself ends on a cliffhanger. Captain Klag has invaded a world populated by a stone age species of giant fur-covered aliens. They are armed with just there claws. Conveniently, there is some aspect of the planet that prevents the invading Klingons from using their gun.s The Klingons don’t mind this at all and carry out the invasion with swords and knives. The Klingons find an honourable opponent and so decide to settle the conquest of the planet in a more interesting way.

The solution is a contest. As soon

as this was mentioned I guessed how the book would end. Not that I was disappointed when my guess turned out to be try, it was just sad that it was so predictable.

A great read if you like Klingons. A good read if you like Star Trek. I can’t really recommend it to a wider audience as it relies on too much foreknowledge of the universe and characters to be accessible to everybody. I’ve given it a mid to high rating dues to the barrier to entry, the lack of original characters and predictable plot. It’s still very entertaining however so I will still recommend to fans of the franchise.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2018. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1716101664380331/k2311a1016/10.16.18