Sony TV - Bravia KDL-40R550C
1.5
  • I bought this TV about a year ago from Costco to furnish a new apartment
  • I had been getting along quite well just using the laptop but it made it hard to watch movies with anyone so I thought an investment in a TV would be a wise idea
  • I didn't need to buy the cheapest TV I could find so I figured I would select a well-known quality brand, Sony
  • I wanted support for Amazon as well, which other online reviews claimed was possible
  • It's frustrating and of low quality and definitely not worth the money

by Markerlight

I bought this TV about a year ago from Costco to furnish a new apartment. I had been getting along quite well just using the laptop but it made it hard to watch movies with anyone so I thought an investment in a TV would be a wise idea. I didn’t need to buy the cheapest TV I could find so I figured I would select a well-known quality brand, Sony.

I have, it seems, chosen poorly. The TV was $1200 CAD brand new and I thought that, for the money, I would be getting a corresponding amount of quality.

• Sony TV - Bravia KDL-40R550C
  • First, it does have support for Netflix. I wanted support for Amazon as well, which other online reviews claimed was possible. It isn’t. The TV can do Netflix and, until very recently, crackle but NOT Amazon no matter what any of the literature or sales representative says. The Amazon service was discontinued 2 years ago.

• Sony TV - Bravia KDL-40R550C
  • The TV does have a wireless internet connection but its so abysmal that you need to have an ethernet cable if you want to stream anything on it. That being said, if you do want to stream anything on it you are in for a long wait. It takes about 5 minutes from switching the TV on to it actually being able to connect to the internet. If you try and do it to soon you will just get a network connection error.

• Sony TV - Bravia KDL-40R550C
  • Once you are streaming, be prepared for the TV to dump you back to the main screen or switch itself off occasionally.

The remote control lags as well. Even on the regular TV with no internet involved. You can try and select options and be waiting up to 30 seconds for the TV to catch up with your commands.

• Sony TV - Bravia KDL-40R550C
  • The control interface is clunky and unintuitive with particular sections such as advanced display settings inexplicably locked out. I need access to these settings because the TV can’t render dark colours properly. This causes you to get strange grey blocks in what should be blacks. This can be partially corrected by reducing the backlight to almost 0.

• Sony TV - Bravia KDL-40R550C
  • The 40″ screen size is at least good enough and it does have a USB port so you can play videos directly onto the TV. However, the TV distorts audio on any video file above 3.5GB turning it into a crackling mess.

Its a struggle to think of anything positive to say about this product. Buy something else. The Sony brand is not well represented by this TV despite its cost. It’s frustrating and of low quality and definitely not worth the money. I could have paid $300 for it and still felt ripped off.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in October, 2018. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 161101664330531/k2311a101/10.1.18