Violife Vegan Cheese Alternatives  » Food  »
  • In this review, I want to share my thoughts on the brand in general, briefly review their different products and tell you which ones I think are the best
  • Not all the pictures here were taken for the review, not all of them are made in the proper lighting and look pretty, but I try my best to show the products the way they are
  • The first one and my favorite and it's Violife for pizza
  • I've already written a whole review on it, but I believe that it truly deserves to be mentioned twice
  • Other flavors like jalapeno peppers etc kind of taste like american cheese, but I never liked that kind originally, so it's only good if that's your thing

by Irina

Violife is probably the biggest vegan cheese alternatives brand in Europe. Their products can be found in most European countries and in most big supermarkets. I’ve already shared my thoughts on 2 of their products, which are Violife Creamy Original and Violife For Pizza. In this review, I want to share my thoughts on the brand in general, briefly review their different products and tell you which ones I think are the best. Not all the pictures here were taken for the review, not all of them are made in the proper lighting and look pretty, but I try my best to show the products the way they are.
  • Violife Vegan Cheese Alternatives
  • I’ve tried almost all Violife products and I want to say: the brand is doing a good job with these alternatives. For those of you, who are not familiar with this brand, it is a Greek company that makes mostly coconut oil-based products and it kind of reminds me of Daiya brand (for those who live in the US). But let’s look at the products now: The first one and my favorite and it’s Violife for pizza. I’ve already written a whole review on it, but I believe that it truly deserves to be mentioned twice. It melts perfectly and behaves exactly the way real cheese does. It doesn’t taste really good on its own, but it’s not meant to be used “cold”.

• Violife Vegan Cheese Alternatives
  • Another great one is the Parmesan. It doesn’t have the same strong smell and flavor as the dairy Parmesan has, but the consistency and the texture are very realistic. It’s really great to put on top of your pasta, as it melts into it, adding that extra kick to your dish. It’s also great for garlic Parmesan roasted veggies, as it acts the same way real Parmesan does and forms a really nice crunchy topping.

• Violife Vegan Cheese Alternatives
  • The Cheddar flavor, again, isn’t very strong, but if you melt it and use it in grilled cheese or in burgers - it is unreal! I’d say it has a very Cheddar-like consistency, but the flavor needs to be worked on! Cheddar slices are probably the best to use in sandwiches, if you are transitioning to a vegan diet, as they do resemble the cheese the most.

• Violife Vegan Cheese Alternatives
  • “Blu block” is something I had pretty high expectations for. It is supposed to be the blue cheese alternative with that tangy blue cheese flavor. I bought it in hopes to make a standard platter with grapes and crackers, but it turned out to be a great disappointment. This cheese has a very spongy, rubbery texture, the texture that no blue cheese has and the tangy flavor is very mild too. Obviously, this cheese wasn’t fermented the same way and there’s no mold on it, but I expected a greater flavor. It melts fine though and I ended up using it in pasta and on top of potatoes, but I don’t recommend this product for those, who miss the flavor of blue cheese.

• Violife Vegan Cheese Alternatives
  • Mozzarella flavor is actually pretty good and I bought it already grated. It also comes in a block and in slices, but the flavor obviously doesn’t change from one form to another. It was pretty tasty and gooey (in a good way), the texture reminded me a lot of mozzarella, same creamy and salty, but only in the melted state though. Eating it as it is didn’t ring the bell for me and reminded me more of provolone cheese, rather than mozzarella.

• Violife Vegan Cheese Alternatives
  • What iolife is really good at is cream cheeses. I’ve actually written a review on the classic version of their cream cheese and I’ve also tried their new tzatziki flavor, which is sooo good! It can be easily turned into sour cream sauce with the addition of lemon juice and it’s really good with baked potatoes. But in general their cream cheeses have a really nice texture and make a perfect combo with toasted bagel.

• Violife Vegan Cheese Alternatives
  • Smoked flavor slices kind of reminded me of the smoked tofu, although the texture was a lot like cheese. I’ve never tried the smoked version of dairy cheese, so I can’t tell if this is actually similar to that, but it’s very good in sandwiches and definitely doesn’t taste vegan. Other flavors like “jalapeno peppers” etc kind of taste like american cheese, but I never liked that kind originally, so it’s only good if that’s your thing.

I think that’s it for now. I’ve tried most of the cheeses Violife offers and I want to give them 8 out of 10. Most of the time, the only thing that’s missing is the strength of the flavor, but other than that, the brand is doing a good job creating vegan cheese alternatives, so don’t hesitate to grab that pretty looking package the next time you see it at the store!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in August, 2018. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 2722081664240631/k2311a0822/8.22.18