Jeongdong Theater, Seoul, South Korea
43 Jeongdong-gil, Sogong-dong, Jung-gu, Seoul, South Korea
  • The mechanical technology used for moving dividing walls, for example, and the lighting technology are extremely good
  • Actually I am not a drama lover, but still I enjoyed the performance
  • There are several third parties selling the tickets online, I bought them through Trazy as their price was the lowest
  • For R seats, the middle class, the ticket price was 40,000 Korean won, or around 40 dollars
  • Having watched the performance twice (different stories) I think that the storyline is somewhat not very easy to follow, they should dilute the path of the story and put more jokes to make the atmosphere more joyful

by Pusaka

Do you often watch western plays and want to try watching an Asian one? Perhaps this is for you. The play is about Korean drama and the story is about an event occurred in the time of the past kingdom. They change the story every month or so. During my stay in Seoul the title of the play was Jang Nok Su, a famous geisha in Joseon dynasty.

This is a full Korean drama. The dialogues are in Korean, dresses worn are traditional Korean fashion, and the story is about life in Joseon era. A good thing is that they provide two monitors to screen English, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean subtitles to help spectators understand the storyline. The mechanical technology used for moving dividing walls, for example, and the lighting technology are extremely good. Actually I am not a drama lover, but still I enjoyed the performance. Only at the beginning there is a very short interactive session when one or two spectators are invited to the stage to play with the performers and it is very amusing. But for the rest of the time spectators are expected to watch only and this did not amuse me very much. At the end there is a long queue for photo session with the performers. I got a picture with them and I like it.

When I was there, the theater was fully booked and gladly I had already purchased my ticket online a couple weeks in advance. There are several third parties selling the tickets online, I bought them through Trazy as their price was the lowest. For R seats, the middle class, the ticket price was 40,000 Korean won, or around 40 dollars.

• Jeongdong Theater
  • The main entrance. It is only seven minutes on foot from City Hall MRT exit and it is not so flashy. Beyond this point, follow the stairway down and change your voucher with paper ticket in the ticket window at the end of the stairway.

• Jeongdong Theater
  • The paper ticket. The most important information is the class, row and seat number. Unfortunately they are printed only in Korean. R-seats are positioned on the left and right rows and I had a relatively good view from there, better than S-seats which are on the far left and far right positions.

• Jeongdong Theater
  • Theater lobby. The space is not large and can be very crowded by visitors who arrive early before the theater door is opened

• Jeongdong Theater
  • Advertisement of the play. I did not see if there was an explanation or a brief introduction of the play though I saw a couple westerners coming to watch.

• Jeongdong Theater
  • A scene of the play. Unfortunately that video recording is not permissible within the theater. I was also forced myself to restrict picture taking for fear of not being allowed

I visited Jeongdong theater twice (the first was in 2014 with my wife), not because of the excellence of the play but because I wanted to show it to my son who join the trip to Korea this time. Having watched the performance twice (different stories) I think that the storyline is somewhat not very easy to follow, they should dilute the path of the story and put more jokes to make the atmosphere more joyful. Picture session at the end of the performance is a good idea.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in July, 2018. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 3216071664000531/k2311a0716/7.16.18