Death Note, Netflix movie
1.0
  • I will say right now that the anime version is easily one of my favorite shows, and when I heard that Netflix was creating this I was excited but didn't really expect much from it
  • I was very disappointed in this movie, as it had a lot of potential but was completely wasted
  • In this review, I will go over why I think the movie completely missed the mark, and took out a lot of the best aspects of the original anime
  • In the anime version, he was an amazing character, some of his main traits being that he was an absolute genius and wanted to make the world a better place
  • Stay away from this movie, and let's hope that Netflix never tries anything like this again

by Ryan Winters

This movie, created by Netflix, is a live action take on the anime Death Note. I will say right now that the anime version is easily one of my favorite shows, and when I heard that Netflix was creating this I was excited but didn’t really expect much from it. Turns out it was even worse than I had originally thought it would be. I was very disappointed in this movie, as it had a lot of potential but was completely wasted.

In this review, I will go over why I think the movie completely missed the mark, and took out a lot of the best aspects of the original anime.

• Death Note (Movie)
  • First, we’ll look at the main character of the movie, Light. In the anime version, he was an amazing character, some of his main traits being that he was an absolute genius and wanted to make the world a better place. This character in the movie is a completely different person. Honestly, it blows me away that they can even call this person the same one in the anime. They are two completely different characters, and it honestly angers me that they would do this to him. If they wanted to make a movie like this, it would be totally fine, but what they should have done was taken the concept of a death note and applied it to characters with different names. This person is NOT Light.

The changes to characters don’t end just at Light however, as every single character is completely different from the ones we see in the anime. I would also like to mention that all of the changes for the characters were for the worse. All of the characters lost what made them who they were, and they became bland, annoying, unlikable characters that you can’t stand seeing on the screen. I don’t get how the people who created this could not see that they were not doing any of the characters justice by turning them into these garbage, uninteresting people. It should honestly be a crime to do this to characters, especially when the originals are all amazing.

• Death Note (Movie)
  • Going into another character we have Ryuk. Now, again, this is a horrible version of Ryuk, but I won’t repeat myself, as I have already mentioned that all of the characters were completely ruined. I will admit that putting him into a live-action is a very difficult thing, as even in the anime the character looks quite odd. However, the CGI in this film is decent at best. This is disappointing, since this movie is coming from Netflix, which we know have the ability to make fantastic shows and movies. Of course, we also know they have a habit of making terrible shows, so I guess it just depends on how much funding they decide to put into which movie.

In my opinion, they made Ryuk look pretty stupid and uninteresting. He doesn’t really look like what was in the anime, and they clearly tried to go for a more scary look to him, which just falls flat. In my opinion, what they should have done was have Ryuk appear in a different way, perhaps even not be in the film at all. since they made all these other huge changes, I don’t see why the didn’t just do this instead of having a horrible looking CGI monster that hardly plays a role in the movie.

• Death Note (Movie)
  • Next, I’d like to talk about the actual story of the movie. It, of course, is completely different from the anime. In fact, besides character names, there is more or less no similarities between the movie and anime besides the concept. This is another reason they should not have given the characters the same names as those from the anime, but instead should have just taken the concept and turned it into it’s own thing.

The story itself is poorly written and filled with plot holes. Not only that, but above all else, it is totally stupid and uninteresting. I found it impossible to care about the story when every character in the movie is acting like a complete idiot, and nothing impressive ever happens. At one point they try to act like the anime, as the main character explains his amazing scheme, but it just comes off as stupid and pretentious. Not only that, but the movie is filled with random, unnecessary action scenes that are completely laughable and stupid. Very disappointing work coming from the writing team and director.

• Death Note (Movie)
  • To understand exactly why this movie was a complete failure, I would like to look back at the source material. There was a lot more content in the anime than there is in the movie, and that’s simply because they had more time to flesh out an interesting story. In the movie, it is clear that they knew there was no way they would be able to follow the story of the anime, simply because they knew they wouldn’t have enough time. This is one reason why you shouldn’t try to turn a show into a movie. You will never be able to get the same feel as the show without making everything feel extremely rushed.

In my opinion what they should have done instead is either turn it into a live action show instead of movie, or simply not do it. If they had a show perhaps they could have actually made an interesting story, but it all just comes off as extremely rushed and sloppy. I don’t know exactly why they thought they would be able to pull this off, perhaps they only did it so that they could get people talking about it. Either way, this movie was a mistake.

• Death Note (Movie)
  • Finally, I’ll take a look at the casting and actors. Right off the bat I’m going to tell you I do not like any of the people they chose to portray the characters from the anime. I mean, just looking at them, none of them look even slightly like the characters they are portraying, so it is obvious that this was not a concern with casting. It doesn’t seem like acting skill was a concern with casting either, as none of these people put out a note-worthy performance. Honestly, I’m having trouble trying to figure out what they were looking for when they decided to cast these people.

In my opinion, there were plenty of better people that could have given these characters life, even the horrible movie versions of these characters. I’m sure Netflix is not struggling in finding good actors for their movies, and it is disappointing to me that this is what they come up with.

In conclusion, I was very disappointed in what this movie became. There was no thought put into the writing, and there is no reminisce of the anime in it at all. It is a completely different story with completely different characters, which is definitely my biggest complaint with the movie.

If you have watched the anime, I would highly recommend you never watch this movie, as it will simply annoy and anger you if you loved the characters from the anime. There is honestly no reason at all to watch this movie. You might be able to enjoy it more if you haven’t seen the anime, but like I previously said the writing and the story in general is all complete garbage in my opinion. Stay away from this movie, and let’s hope that Netflix never tries anything like this again.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2018. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1113061663750330/k2311a0613/6.13.18