It Follows (horror movie)
  • This movie is another fantastic addition to the horror genre, and is well recognized as being one of the best horror films of all time
  • It should be mentioned that on Rotten Tomatoes it has a 97% critics rating, which I think is totally deserved
  • Behind the horror there is also a lot of messages and interesting imagery
  • Going into this review, the photos I will show are aspects of the film that really stood out to me, and the ones that gave it the rating it deserves
  • If you're looking for a unique horror film, that doesn't rely on jump-scares and other cheap tactics to scare you, then you should definitely check out It Follows

by Ryan Winters

It Follows is a story about a monster that is sexually transmitted, and once you have him following you, he doesn’t stop until you’re dead or you transmit it to someone else. This movie is another fantastic addition to the horror genre, and is well recognized as being one of the best horror films of all time. It should be mentioned that on Rotten Tomatoes it has a 97% critics rating, which I think is totally deserved. Behind the horror there is also a lot of messages and interesting imagery.

Going into this review, the photos I will show are aspects of the film that really stood out to me, and the ones that gave it the rating it deserves.

• It Follows (Movie)
  • Starting off, I’d like to take a look at the cover for the movie. Typical horror movies will often have grotesque, generic, and boring covers. It Follows instead shows you what one of the major aspects of the movie is about, sex. You don’t see the monster, so it leads to you wondering what the movie is really about. This is a great way, in my opinion, to get people interested in your movie without giving everything away.

Another thing that I really enjoyed about the movie, the actual title of the movie is never shown until the very end of the movie. So if you were to watch the movie without knowing what it was, you wouldn’t even find out the title until the end of the movie. I thought that this was an interesting thing to do, and again adds to the ominous feel of the entire movie.

• It Follows (Movie)
  • Next, here is a screenshot from the opening scene of the movie which, it should be noted, was beautifully shot. Essentially all this shot shows is a girl running from something that the audience cannot see. This once again keeps up the unknown quality of the monster, as you don’t really see him until decently far into the film.

I feel that this was the perfect way to open up with this film, as it gives you an idea of what the victim is going through without actually showing you what it is. We see the perspective from the outside of those going through this situation, as they come off as acting extremely odd and somewhat insane, running from something others can’t see. This scene also gave me a feeling of anxiety, as I didn’t understand exactly what was going on. The directing of this scene was one of the best I’ve seen in a long time from any movie.

• It Follows (Movie)
  • This picture is another screenshot from the scene where you first see the monster. Unfortunately I could not actually show what the monster looks like, so I will describe it. Essentially, it was just a naked girl slowly walking towards the people you see in the picture. Going more into what the monster is, it’s whole deal is that it slowly follows you no matter where you are, and it takes on whatever form it thinks will scare you the most. Now you can image that the form it would take would often be loved ones, perhaps people that have died in your life. You can imagine how scary it would be to see, let’s say, your dead grandmother walking towards you.

I would say this is perhaps one of the best monsters I’ve seen in a movie in a long time. The creepy aspect of the entire thing alone sends a shiver up my spine, something constantly following you no matter where you run or hide. You would never be able to sleep comfortably and would constantly be looking over your shoulder. As I said in the intro, the only way to get rid of the monster is to put it onto someone else. This downside to this is that once the monster kills the person it’s after, it goes on to the last person on it’s list, which would be you. Because of this, even after not seeing the monster for 30 years, there’s always a chance of it coming back to you.

The obvious connection to this monster would be STDs. I feel this is a great way to get across the message of what having an STD is like. The message to the movie itself is a good one, and they were able to create a very interesting narrative to show it. I would also like to mention how much I enjoyed the camera work of this scene, which was shot on trolley for a lot of it. It adds a lot to the scene that otherwise may have come off as bland.

• It Follows (Movie)
  • Looking at the characters and acting, this movie excels at giving us interesting, dynamic characters. Jay, played by Maika Monroe, is the main character that the movie follows, as she deals with the monster following her. Monroe’s acting in this movie is phenomenal, and really shows what the actress is able to accomplish. The character itself is smart and interesting, and we see how she deals with this monster. I feel her reaction to the whole situation is very much how I or anyone else would have reacted to this happening to them.

Next to Monroe, we see actor Keir Gilchrist, playing Paul. I had to mention him in this review as I have seen him in many movies before, and he is perhaps one of my favorite actors. I feel he does an excellent job of portraying the kind of person Paul is. In previous movies he seems to play very similar characters, a nerdy, somewhat awkward guy. Despite this, he breathes life into what could have come off as a boring character by giving an excellent performance. His character itself also reacts rationally and comes off as likeable. You will find yourself cheering for him by the end of the movie.

• It Follows (Movie)
  • Another very interesting aspect to the movie would be the odd time warp decor that is seen throughout the entire movie. In the image you see something that seems to be an e-reader. Along with this, you see cars, tv’s, and movies that are coming from both the 50’s and 70’s. There seems to be no real era in which this movie is taking place, which again adds an ominous feeling to the entire thing.

The director, David Robert Mitchell, in an interview explained that the way he got the idea of the movie was from a dream he had when he was younger. Because of this he wanted to make the movie come off as somewhat strange, almost dream-like. I think he did a great job of doing this, and he definitely accomplished his goal. I also think that the fact that he stayed true to the origin of the idea of the movie was very cool, and again makes the movie stand out from other horror movies.

To conclude, I feel that this was a real breakthrough for the horror genre, and showed the other directors of horror movies what they are doing wrong. It should be mentioned that there were no jump scares in the entire movie, which if you often watch horror movies, is a pretty big deal. In my opinion, everything in the film was very well done from the camera work, to the writing and casting. I truthfully cannot think of anything to criticizes about the movie, and I feel it definitely deserves the 97% it has on Rotten Tomatoes.

If you’re looking for a unique horror film, that doesn’t rely on jump-scares and other cheap tactics to scare you, then you should definitely check out It Follows.

Scott Englin says :

re : If you’re looking for a unique horror film, that doesn’t rely on jump-scares and other cheap tactics to scare you, then you should definitely check out It Follows
A fresh idea among a minefield of trite remakes. The monster never bacame mundane, mostly because of its evershifting appearance. It was used with a deft hand for maximum effect. The music was also of note. What starts out as alluring 80 s synth is soon revealed as a honeypot of horror. Tranquility falls away as the music morphs into the monsters marching beat. The film s ending leaves you with few answers yet oddly satisfied. It works because being left in the dark leaves you with the feeling that you are unprepared and vulnerable to the monster. A great moviegoing experience.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in June, 2018. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 1113061663730330/k2311a0613/6.13.18