Damon’s Restaurant, Sheffield, England  » Restaurants  »
2 Sevenairs Road, Beighton, Sheffield S20 1NZ
  • One of Damon's worst kept secrets was that if you were celebrating a birthday you ate for free and you would be presented with a cake at the end of the meal and have Happy Birthday sung to you at the table by the waiters and waitresses
  • Damon's is very easy to find as you just follow the signs to Crystal Peaks Shopping Centre and unlike many later restaurants that followed in Sheffield, it has a huge car park, which is more than adequate for its number of visitors
  • I'd already commented to my partner on how expensive the drinks were from the bar, no change from £
  • However our table was only set for 12 people and there were 13 of us
  • We all left happy and full, but slightly disappointed that it wasn't like it used to be

by Mick Spicer

I visited Damon’s Restaurant in Sheffield on the 13th April 2018 as part of a party of 13 people. It was my first visit here for about two years and my fourth or fifth visit ever.

Damon’s opened their American themed restaurant in Sheffield in the late 1980’s just a few months after opening their first UK restaurant in Lincoln although its origins date back to 1979 in the USA. It is situated in a prominent position adjacent to one of the main roundabouts into Crystal Peaks Shopping Centre, which also opened around the same (March 1988).

I recall that when this place first opened there was a real buzz. With a slogan that read “Famous for ribs” there hadn’t been anything like this in this part of England before and it quickly became popular and has remained so ever since.

• Damon's Restaurant, Sheffield, England
  • One of Damon’s worst kept secrets was that if you were celebrating a birthday you ate for free and you would be presented with a cake at the end of the meal and have Happy Birthday sung to you at the table by the waiters and waitresses. As word spread it soon became the place to book for a birthday party. These days their website proudly announces what they tried to keep secret for years, that if it’s your birthday you won’t pay for your meal (providing you have proof, of course).

Damon’s is very easy to find as you just follow the signs to Crystal Peaks Shopping Centre and unlike many later restaurants that followed in Sheffield, it has a huge car park, which is more than adequate for its number of visitors.

It’s a modern looking single storey building constructed of brick.

• Damon's Restaurant, Sheffield, England
  • Inside the entrance there is a carpeted hallway that leads to a reception and behind this there is a bar and waiting area.

Our table was booked for 7.15pm. We arrived just before 7pm but the receptionist couldn’t find our booking. After a few frantic moments she found the booking on her computer but it hadn’t been written in the book. It’s not the sort of place that you could turn up to and expect a table so pre booking is essential. Panic over we bought a couple of drinks from the bar and sat ourselves down and waited for the rest of our party to arrive.

Whilst the decor still looked OK I commented to my partner that it seemed to have not changed since it opened in the 1980’s and that the carpet in the bar area looked like it was the original one.

• Damon's Restaurant, Sheffield, England
  • The walls are covered in photos of stars from the 1950’s and 60’s. James Dean, Elvis and the likes and the lighting is dimmed to create a relaxed ambience but there seemed to be something lacking, I’m not sure why but it lacked the wow factor that it had on all previous visits.

I’d already commented to my partner on how expensive the drinks were from the bar, no change from £10 for two small drinks and the next thing I noted was that there were no chicken wings. Second to its secret free birthday meal trick was always the fact that there was an unlimited supply of free hot chicken wings in the waiting area which you could help yourself to, they were there last time we visited and every time we visited before but now they are gone.

By 7.15pm all of our party had arrived and were now waiting in the bar but there was no sign of being called to a table. Our birthday guest was Simon, my partner’s son so our party was “Simon’s party” which we eagerly listened for everytime the tannoy started. 7.30 came and went, 7.45 came and one of our group enquired how long our table would be, “not long” we were told. Just before 8pm we were called through and escorted to a table. However our table was only set for 12 people and there were 13 of us. After a few more frantic moments from the staff they created an extra space at the end of the table and we all had to budge our chairs up a bit to make room, which wasn’t ideal but there seemed no alternative as the place was full.

• Damon's Restaurant, Sheffield, England
  • We were handed menus and informed that if we wanted drinks we had to get them ourselves from the bar as they no longer can be ordered at the table, which seemed a new and rather odd rule, especially since the bar was quite a distance away.

I noted that the waiters and waitresses were all dressed in black and looked very smart.

After just a few minutes some baskets appeared with warm bread rolls and butter but 15 minutes passed and no one had come to take our orders. By now we’d all eaten the bread and members of our group had started wandering off to get drinks from the bar. Another 15 minutes passed and still our orders had not been taken. It was now 8.30pm. We beckoned a waitress on another table and she said she’d get someone to take our order but another 15 minutes passed and still no one came. A couple of our group members threatened to leave and finally someone came to take our order at just before 9pm.

Damon’s is basically an American style diner that is famous for its ribs, steaks and huge portions. I imagine it’s not somewhere you’d really come if you was a vegetarian but there were some vegetarian options on the menu. I’d been toying as to whether to order a half rack of ribs at £13.99 or a full rack of ribs at £18.99 but now famished I opted for the full rack.

I recall previously once ordering a full rack of ribs and the portion was so huge I couldn’t finish it all, but this time I was so hungry I expected to be able to finish it.

Once again we waited and waited but no food came. The table opposite us of a similar party size that had arrived after us were now finishing their meal and ready to leave. The waiters appeared at their table and everyone sang Happy Birthday, whilst our bellies grumbled. Eventually just before 10pm our food finally arrived.

• Damon's Restaurant, Sheffield, England
  • My ribs were in a BBQ sauce and the smell was delicious. It came with chips (fries) and a side dish of coleslaw but I couldn’t help notice that the portion size seemed smaller than I recalled and thus I had no problem emptying my plate at all. The meat was cooked to perfection and slipped off the bone and melted in my mouth. However the chips were a bit too salty for my liking but as I was so hungry it was a minor inconvenience.

Other members of our partner had steak or burgers and everyone was happy with their meals.

• Damon's Restaurant, Sheffield, England
  • Some of the girls in our party ordered cocktails , which were apparently very nice but very expensive.

I did visit the toilets during the evening and they were very clean and modern. The toilets are strategically positioned between the bar and restaurant so the same toilets serve both areas and the corridor that leads to them is full of mirrors. I noticed that there was a toilet for disabled visitors.

• Damon's Restaurant, Sheffield, England
  • We’d tied a birthday balloon to our table and so had many others. It was obvious that there was someone celebrating a birthday at every table but we had all noticed that there no longer seemed to be a “free” birthday cake brought to the table but instead most parties had brought their own cake which they’d left with the staff to bring out at the end of the meal.

The restaurant closes at 11pm so by the time we had finished our meal the staff had were already clearing up and cleaning so it was no surprise that they cleared our table quickly.

Thankfully, someone in our party had secretly brought a cake and left it with the staff, which was brought out along with our bill but there was no birthday sing song from the staff as they were by now busy cleaning up and hurriedly setting the tables for tomorrow’s breakfast guests, so we had to improvise ourselves and sang Happy Birthday.

We all left happy and full, but slightly disappointed that it wasn’t like it used to be.

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in May, 2018. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 714051663590431/k2311a0514/5.14.18