Rome Lemongrass Gelato ice-cream shop  » Restaurants  »
Via Barletta 1, Via Ottaviano, 29, Rome, 00192
  • Italy is a dream country for a lot of people and I think I understand why
  • I don't think I would bother traveling much, if I was born in a country with almost no snow, cheap quality wine and the most beautiful architecture on every corner
  • I'm starting with Rome, which is not surprising, and this time I want to share my thoughts on an amazing Gelateria I stumbled across a few days ago
  • It comes as no surprise that Rome is filled with tourists
  • Definitely visit the place, if you're ever in Rome and don't be shallow with the portion - that ice-cream is worth every single calorie it contains

by Irina

Disclaimer: this review was actually written a few months ago, but I don’t want to alternate it in any way, as I believe it’s the most genuine opinion on the place that I could give. I’m a queen of long intros, so skip this part, if you only want to read the review.

Italy is a dream country for a lot of people and I think I understand why. I don’t think I would bother traveling much, if I was born in a country with almost no snow, cheap quality wine and the most beautiful architecture on every corner. But anyways, I’m in Italy now and while I commute and got some spare time, I’d like to share my thoughts on a few places I’ve visited here. I’m starting with Rome, which is not surprising, and this time I want to share my thoughts on an amazing Gelateria I stumbled across a few days ago.

It comes as no surprise that Rome is filled with tourists. Sometimes I felt like a sardine in a can, when I was trying to squeeze through tourist groups. Thus places that offer you typical Italian foods open up every day. There are over a 1000 gelato shops in the city center and you can’t tell which one is better. I recently gave up animal products and regular ice-cream became a taboo for me, however, it’s not a big loss nowadays, as the vegan industry grows rapidly and dairy-free ice-cream can be found almost everywhere. Yet, I was surprised to see that there’s quite a lot of vegan places in the country of cheese and carne. I looked up vegan gelaterias in Rome and I found a few, which were located quite far from the place, where we were staying, but this one didn’t actually come up with the rest of the results. It was quite a surprise, because we just have had our lunch after visiting Vatican and were heading towards the subway, when I saw a banner with “100% vegan ice-cream” written on it. That was the moment when I felt the happiness running through my veins.

• Lemongrass Gelato ice-cream shop
  • Lemongrass gelato turned out to be a popular place, highly rated on tourist websites. It’s located in the Prati area, which you can’t miss, if you’re ever in Rome. The Gelateria is conveniently placed right in front of the entrance to Ottaviano subway station. They offer both vegan and non-vegan ice-cream options, as well as coffee and desserts. I have only been there twice, but with the assistance of my wonderful boyfriend I was able to try all the vegan flavors that the place has (there’re 10 in total).

• Lemongrass Gelato ice-cream shop
  • The dairy flavors are all those that are marked with a white spoon and the non-dairy are those with the red spoon stuck in them.

The thing I loved the most about this place is that all the ice-cream that comes with the topping is generously coated. You can see here that most flavors in this pic are really well covered with the sauce.

• Lemongrass Gelato ice-cream shop
  • Lemongrass gelato also offers vegan cones, which is pretty cool, since most places only have the traditional wafer ice-cream cones that are not vegan. Here is what the cone looks like. By the way, that dark chocolate ice-cream is The bomb! I also didn’t miss the opportunity to interrogate the guy there about the vegan gelato and he told me it was made with coconut milk and Italian fruit and manufactured somewhere close to Rome. I think that it’s pretty cool.

• Lemongrass Gelato ice-cream shop
  • The prices at the place are rather modest. We paid about €8 for two stuffed ice-cream cones, which isn’t the cheapest, but I wouldn’t expect the prices for such great ice-cream in the tourist-filled area to be any lower.

• Lemongrass Gelato ice-cream shop
  • My boyfriend eats dairy, so he had the regular ice-cream and he said it was one of the best things he had ever tasted: rich, creamy and delicious! He really liked the hazelnut-chocolate, cheesecake and strawberry flavors. The dairy-free flavors I loved the most were banana, dark chocolate and rum. Also, usually I’m not so enthusiastic about the fruity ice-cream, but the mango one was so delicious that I actually got it twice!

I could probably talk all day about how delicious the ice-cream at Lemongrass gelato is, but I think I’ve already made that clear. Definitely visit the place, if you’re ever in Rome and don’t be shallow with the portion - that ice-cream is worth every single calorie it contains!

The review was published as it's written by reviewer in March, 2018. The reviewer certified that no compensation was received from the reviewed item producer, trademark owner or any other institution, related with the item reviewed. The site is not responsible for the mistakes made. 712031662870631/k2311a0312/3.12.18